Have a good story to share? We can help put it in the spotlight and show our community—or even the world—the achievements and spirit of our students, faculty, and staff at Purdue Fort Wayne.
The stories we tell are shared a few ways. News releases are distributed to media outlets all over northeast Indiana and beyond, depending on what they are about and the most appropriate audience to target. These stories are also published through our flagship social media platforms. Story ideas may also be considered for inclusion in one of our internal newsletters: Inside PFW or Don Life.
Inside PFW is produced twice weekly and sent to faculty and staff. Don Life is produced on Wednesdays and sent to currently enrolled students. We also distribute special editions of each newsletter for stories or messages that need to stand alone.
We maintain a set of guidelines that helps us decide if your story is newsworthy for our publishing platforms. Take a look at the following questions that we use to decide if we can promote your story:
- How recent is your news? Can we connect it to a topic trending in the media?
- Does your story show faculty and student scholarship, research, and/or community engagement?
- Will your story grab the attention of prospective college applicants?
- Does the story set us apart from other institutions? Can we promote this story in a unique or interesting way?
- Does the story show community involvement? Does it share institutional knowledge or resources with the community?
- Can we promote this story with interesting photography?
- Can the university communicate the project while balancing other obligations?
Your story will work better if it is on the correct platform—each with slightly different criteria for inclusion. The media relations team is eager to help you decide which is the best match for your news.
Potential stories for our various platforms should meet the following criteria:
- Subject matter that particularly newsworthy and unique—and show community impact or involvement
- An event that is open to the public, as well as events related to recruitment, retention, and development (space is limited for campus events—some are better promoted through the university’s Events Calendar)
- Action items, such as applying for a scholarship or buying a ticket to an event
- Human Resources announcements, police and safety issues, new hires, construction updates, Purdue policy updates/changes, and links to other departmental or college newsletters
Submit Your Stories
Submit your story ideas or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Write “STORY IDEA” in the subject line to help us keep track of your email. You will receive a response within five business days with a message informing you the best way to share your news.
Note that most news releases are assessed two to three weeks in advance to ensure that content remains current, timely, and relevant.
Details regarding campus event promotion must be submitted four weeks prior to the event.
The deadline to submit information for consideration in Inside PFW is 2 p.m. the day before publication. You may send these items to email@example.com.
All submitted story ideas will be taken under consideration; the media relations team will make all final editorial decisions.