Getting your story published
Have a campus accomplishment or news story to share? We can help put it in the spotlight and show our community, or even the world, Purdue Fort Wayne’s achievements. Our news releases get published through various public media outlets as well as our flagship social media platforms. Your internal accolades can also get shared in the campus faculty and staff newsletter, Inside Purdue Fort Wayne. We even promote what the outside media is saying about our institution through our Media Mentions page.
We maintain a set of guidelines that help us decide if your story is newsworthy for our publishing platforms. Take a look at the following questions that we use to decide if we can promote your story:
- How recent is your news? Can we connect it to a topic trending in the media?
- Does your story show faculty and student scholarship, research, or community engagement?
- Will your story grab the attention of college applicants?
- Does the story set us apart from other institutions? Can we promote this story in a unique or interesting way?
- Does the story show community involvement? Does it share institutional knowledge or resources with the community?
- Can we promote this story with interesting photography?
- Can the university communicate the project while balancing other obligations?
Your story will work better if it is on the correct platform, each one of which has its own criteria. We use this criteria to decide which platform is the best match for your news.
Inside Purdue Fort Wayne
If your story matches any of the following criteria, it can be promoted in Inside Purdue Fort Wayne, our staff and faculty newsletter:
- An event that is open to the public, as well as events related to recruitment, retention, and development (space is limited for campus events—some are better promoted through the university Events Calendar.
- Action items an end user can act upon, such as applying for a scholarship or buying a ticket to an event
- Feature stories must be particularly newsworthy and unique—and show community impact or involvement
- Human Resources announcements, police and safety issues, new hires, construction updates, Purdue policy updates/changes, and links to other departmental or college newsletters
Purdue Fort Wayne in the News
Stories from reputable media outlets from local, regional, and national media sources can be featured on our Media Mentions page.
Submit Your Stories
Submit your story ideas to Susan Alderman, director of media relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Write “STORY IDEA” in the subject line to help us keep track of your email when submitting a story. You will receive a response within five business days, with a message informing you the best way to share your news. Details regarding campus event promotion must be submitted four weeks prior to the event.
The most common requests are for our Inside Purdue Fort Wayne newsletter. Note that stories are planned two to three weeks in advance to ensure that content remains current, timely, and relevant.
All submitted story ideas will be taken under consideration; the media relations department will make all final editorial decisions.