Skip to main content
Default Hero Image

Types of Financial aid

financial Aid

Don’t let cost be a hurdle.

Nothing should stand in your way of obtaining your degree, which is why we offer tons of financial aid options to help offset the cost of your education. From grants and scholarships to work-study programs to loans, we can help you put together a financial aid package that works for you.

Check out the link below on ScholarshipUniverse to start applying to scholarships!

Students walking
Accent texture


Ease your financial burden.

A wide variety of annual scholarships are available to you. A few of these are based entirely on academic achievement; however, many are based on your financial need and academic achievement. Plus, these funds typically don’t need to be paid back.

Academic scholarships are awarded to incoming undergraduate students who meet specific criteria. You are not required to submit a separate scholarship application. If you qualify, you will be notified by the Office of Financial Aid once you are admitted to the university. 

Eligibility requirements for students beginning fall 2022:

  • Undergraduate students only
  • Full-time student (first time or transfer)
  • Minimum of 2.5 GPA


Scholarship Amounts for First-Time Beginner Students per Year


Domestic Student Deadline Requirements

SemesterAdmitted & Enrollment Deposit PaidAll high school and/or college transcripts must be submittedAccess to Don Dollars on University ID Card
Summer/Fall Admits*June 1August 1Second week in August
Spring Admits*December 1Thursday prior to the first week of classesFirst week of classes

International and Noncitizen Student Deadline Requirements

SemesterAdmitted & Enrollment Deposit PaidAll high school and/or college transcripts must be submittedPFW Scholarship Plus
First term with PFWEnd of the first week of classesEnd of the first semesterSecond week of classes



PFW Scholarship Renewal Criteria

In-State First-Time Beginner Students
  • HA and AD admit types
  • Can be stacked with 21st Century Students and Children of Disabled Veterans to just pay tuition and mandatory fees. 
  • Includes Ohio Reciprocity Program students
Out-of-State First-Time Beginner Students
  • HA and AD admit types
  • Includes international students
  • Includes MSEP
Transfer Students
  • TA and IP admit types
  • Includes international students
  • Can be stacked with 21st Century Students and Children of Disabled Veterans to just pay tuition and mandatory fees. 
  • Applies to all TA/IP admits regardless of number of transfer credits

For All Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarships

  • Award is applicable to tuition and regularly assessed fees only.
    • If your tuition is fully covered by other tuition specific aid, not including State of Indiana aid, you will not be eligible for the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship in that specific semester/aid year. 
  • Domestic students must be committed (enrollment deposit submitted) by June 1 for every fall entry term.
  • Domestic students must submit final transcripts by August 1 for every fall entry term; international students must submit final transcripts by the end of the entry term.
  • Cumulative GPA used to determine Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship value:
    • First-time beginner students direct from high school will be from the students official final transcript that includes graduation date.
    • Transfer students cumulative GPA will be determined by the most recent college/university attended.  
  • Students must be registered full-time to receive the scholarship each semester; if credit hours are under full-time enrollment, your scholarship value for the term will be removed from your account.
  • The award is renewable as long as you are pursuing your first bachelor’s degree at Purdue Fort Wayne, have been continuously enrolled with the university, have completed 24 resident credit hours at Purdue Fort Wayne each academic year (earned hours), and are in good standing for satisfactory academic progress.
  • Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarships may be funded by existing donor scholarships that may replace the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship amount. Not all scholarships are stackable with the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for clarification.
  • Scholarship value is split equally between the fall and spring semesters.
    • This scholarship is not available for the summer terms.
  • Note: If you are a spring admit, you will be awarded the half value for that term.
    • The award is renewable for the next academic year as long as you are pursuing your first bachelor’s degree at Purdue Fort Wayne, have been continuously enrolled with the university, have completed 12 resident credit hours at Purdue Fort Wayne (earned hours), and are in good standing for satisfactory academic progress.
    • The full value will be awarded for the next aid year and split equally each term moving forward.
    • Standard renewal criteria are expected for all future aid years.
    • All other Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship details above have the same expectations for spring admits.
For full scholarship consideration, your application and all required documentation must be submitted by the deadline(s). Actual scholarship awards are based upon official academic records after admission to Purdue Fort Wayne.

International & Non-Citizen students who qualify for the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship and meet all required deadlines are awarded $250 PFW Scholarship Plus their first semester with the university. This is a one-time benefit of earning the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship. Please see deadline requirements above to learn when you will have access to these funds.


Students who qualify for the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship and meet all required deadlines are awarded $250 Don Dollars their first semester with the university. This is a one-time benefit of earning the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship. Please see the deadline requirements above to learn when you will have access to these funds.


  • The Mastodon ID Card is the property of Purdue University Fort Wayne, and the policies and procedures of the university govern its use.
  • The photo taken for your Mastodon Card is stored digitally by Campus Credentials and Transportation and may be used for other approved business purposes at Purdue Fort Wayne. Your digital photograph may be used under the following circumstances:
    • For security and identification purpose
    • Your written authorization
    • To comply with applicable laws, regulations, and lawful orders and requests to produce the photograph, upon direction and approval from the Office of Legal Counsel
    • For other internal business purposes as approved by Purdue Fort Wayne policy 
  • A card is issued to assist in the identification of the valid cardholder and is to be presented upon request for securing privileges and services.
  • The Mastodon Card is valid only while you are a registered student, active university employee, or university retiree—or until the card is revoked.
  • The Mastodon Card is nontransferable and does not authorize me to obligate Purdue Fort Wayne in any way.
  • Altering or intentionally damaging an ID card, using another person’s Mastodon Card, or allowing my card to be used by another person may result in disciplinary action and confiscation of the card. 
  • I am responsible for paying any replacement fee when the Mastodon Card is lost, stolen, confiscated, or intentionally damaged, or when any information is changed at my request.
  • I should notify Campus Credentials and Transportation immediately if a card is lost or stolen. If a confiscated, surrendered, lost, stolen, or otherwise damaged card has a balance on the value stripe, there is no guaranteed refund on the unused balance on the card. 
  • I am responsible for notifying Campus Credentials and Transportation to deactivate the online functionality of the Mastodon Card should the card be lost or stolen.


Consumer Liability   
Please notify us at once if you believe your card has been lost or stolen, or if you believe that an electronic fund transfer has been made without your permission. Telephoning is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all the money in your account. If you tell us within two business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your card, you can lose no more than $50 if someone used your card without your permission. 

If you do not tell us within two business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your card, and we can prove we could have stopped someone from using your card without your permission if you had told us, you could lose as much as $500.  

Also, if your statement shows transfers that you did not make, tell us at once. If you do not tell us within 60 days after the statement was mailed to you, you may not get back any money you lost after the 60 days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had told us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) kept you from telling us, we will extend the time periods.

Contact in Event of Unauthorized Transfer   
If you believe your card has been lost or stolen, contact Campus Credentials and Transportation:

                Campus Credentials and Transportation

                Walb Union, Room 127

                2101 East Coliseum Boulevard

                Fort Wayne, IN 46805

                [email protected] or 260-481-6611

You should also call the number or write to the address listed above if you believe a transfer has been made using your card without your permission.

Business Days 
For purposes of these disclosures, our business days are Monday through Friday. PFW holidays are not included.

Transfer Types and Limitations   
You may use your card for purchases at locations that have agreed to accept for payment. Cash deposits to your card may be made at Mastodon Card Stations. Services may be limited at some locations. Certain locations may have a limit on the dollar amounts of individual purchases. There are no limitations on the number of purchases. No transfers can be made from other Purdue Fort Wayne accounts. No cash withdrawals can be made, unless you are closing your account.


  • Don Dollars: We may close accounts when you are no longer enrolled in, or employed by, Purdue Fort Wayne. A fee of $25 is charged to close an account. Proceeds from the closed account will be paid through the Office of the Bursar and will be subject to offsets against other debts you owe to Purdue Fort Wayne. The Office of the Bursar will not process a refund of balance for less than $5. There is no fee to close an account with a $0 balance. The Don Dollars account does not pay interest. Except as stated above, there are no per-transfer charges, fixed charges, or minimum balance charges.
  • Mastodon Card: There is a fee of $20 to replace lost, stolen or damaged cards.

Confidentiality of Account Information   
We will disclose information to third parties about your account of the transfer you make 

  • where it is necessary for completing transfer, or
  • in order to verify the existence and condition of your account for a third party, such as a credit bureau or merchant, or
  • in order to comply with government agency or court orders. 

You can get a receipt at the time you make a purchase unless the purchase is at an electronic terminal and is in the amount of $15 or less. 

Periodic Statements 
Customers can go to and view statements on demand by logging in with a username and password. 

Our Liability for Failure to Make Transfers 
If we do not complete a transfer to or from your account on time or in the correct amount according to our agreement with you, we will be liable for your losses or damages. However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance

  • if, through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money in your account to make the transfer,
  • if the terminal system was not working properly and you knew about the breakdown when you started the transfer, and
  • if circumstances beyond our control (such as fire or flood) prevent the transfer, despite reasonable precautions that we have taken. (There may be other exceptions stated in our agreement with you.)

Error Resolution 
In case of errors or questions about your electronic transfers telephone us at 260-481-6611, write us at Walb Union, Room 127, 2101 East Coliseum Boulevard, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, or email us at [email protected] as soon as you can. If you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt, we must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent the first statement on which the problem or error appeared: 

  1. Tell us your name and account number (if any).
  2. Describe the error or the transfer you are unsure about, and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
  3. Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error. 

If you tell us orally, we may require that you send us your complaint or questions in writing within 10 business days.  

We will determine whether an error occurred within 10 business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to 45 days to investigate your complaint or questions. If we decide to do this, we will credit your account within 10 business days for the amount you think is in error so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within 10 business days, we may not credit your account.  

For errors involving new accounts, point-of-sale, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to 90 days to investigate your complaint or question. For new accounts, we may take up to 20 business days to credit your account for the amount you think is in error.  

We will tell you the results within three business days after completing our investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.  

Don Dollars Account Additional Terms 
In addition to the terms and conditions contained in the disclosure statement, the following terms and conditions also apply: 

  • We may close accounts when you are no longer enrolled in, or employed by, Purdue Fort Wayne. All funds in the Don Dollar Scholars account will not be refunded to students.
  • Your Don Dollars account balance will be carried forward from semester to semester as long as you are enrolled in, or employed by, Purdue Fort Wayne.  
  • Cash refunds are not made for returned merchandise. Cash withdrawals are not permitted.  
  • Future changes in terms and conditions regulating use of Don Dollars accounts and cards will apply to all cards in circulation and use at the future date and will supersede the terms and conditions in effect at the time the card was acquired. 
  • Your Don Dollars account will only be established if you qualify and meet all Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship eligibility requirements for awarding.   
  • You are only eligible for a Don Dollars account while actively on campus. Visiting scholars, temporary employees, and official retirees are not eligible.

ScholarshipUniverse is a matching system that maximizes scholarship opportunities for students. It allows you to create an academic profile that enables you to connect with various internal and external scholarship opportunities. Updating your student profile criteria regularly will help you see all external scholarships you qualify for. ScholarshipUniverse will also match you to university scholarships and departmental scholarships.

If you’re a current Purdue student, head to and enter your career account credentials.

More information on scholarship universe here.

Chapman Scholars
The Chapman Scholars Program selects six incoming first-year students who are distinguished as high achievers in and out of the classroom each year. Chapman Scholars receive tuition, fees, room and board, and textbooks for four years. The program develops engaged scholars who understand that civic engagement is key to personal growth as well as the growth and strength of a community.

Summit Scholars
The Summit Scholars Program is a full-ride scholarship program that includes two premier competitive, merit-based scholarships: the Chapman Scholarship (all majors) and the Doermer Distinguished Scholarship (business majors only).

Find out more information about these full-ride scholarships by visiting their site.

How outside scholarships affect your financial aid package. 
Getting an outside, or private, scholarship can reduce the amount of financial aid you need to receive from your college, but that does not mean you will have to pay a bigger share of your college costs. It’s actually a pretty cool exchange. Scholarship dollars replace financial aid dollars.

What is an outside scholarship? 
An outside scholarship is a scholarship awarded by an organization other than the government or your college. These scholarships are usually sponsored by employers or community organizations, for example, and should be reported to your college’s financial aid office in order to prevent what is called an overaward. If all the aid a student receives ends up being $300 or more above what is needed, the college must reduce the aid it offers. It is up to your college to decide what type of financial aid to reduce or cut if you receive an outside scholarship. 

Scholarship search engines have proven to be a very useful resource for helping students to locate scholarships. Please note that most scholarship search websites require the applicant to complete a profile. The websites then use the information provided to match the student with possible scholarship opportunities.  

Keep the following in mind as you begin your quest for gifts that don’t need to be repaid:

  • Be extremely cautious as you search for scholarships.
  • Protect yourself from scholarship scams.
  • Avoid websites or applications that require a fee.

Many community foundations offer scholarships for students from or living in their geographic focus. Listed below are all community foundations found in Indiana. If you are not a resident of Indiana, we highly suggest you contact your local community foundation and ask about potential scholarship opportunities.

Foundation NameGeographic Focus
Adams County Community FoundationAdams County
The Blue River Community Foundation Inc.Shelby County
Brown County Community FoundationBrown County
Cass County Community FoundationCass County
Centeral Indiana Community FoundationHamilton and Marion Counties
The Clinton County Community FoundationClinton County
Community Foundation Alliance Inc.Indiana
Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County Inc.Bloomington and Monroe Counties
The Community Foundation of Boone CountyBoone County
Community Foundation of Crawford CountyNationwide and Indiana
Community Foundation of Grant CountyGrant County
Community Foundation of Greater Fort WayneAllen County
The Community Foundation of Greater LafayetteTippecanoe County and Surrounding Counties
The Community Foundation of Howard County Inc.Howard County
The Community Foundation of Jackson CountyJackson County
Community Foundation of Madison and Jefferson County Inc.Madison and Jefferson County
Community Foundation of Morgan CountyMorgan County
The Community Foundation of Muncie and Delaware County Inc.Muncie and Delaware County
Community Foundation of Randolph County Inc.Randolph County
Community Foundation of Southern IndianaClark, Floyd, and Harrison Counties
Community Foundation of St. Joseph CountySt. Joseph County
Community Foundation of Switzerland County Inc.Switzerland County
Community Foundation of Wabash CountyWabash County
Community Foundation Partnership Inc.Lawrence and Martin Counties
Crown Point Community FoundationCrown Point and South Lake County Area
Dearborn County Community Foundation Inc.Dearborn County
Decatur County Community Foundation Inc.Decatur County
DeKalb County Community Foundation Inc.DeKalb County
Dubois County Community Foundation Inc.Dubois County
Community Foundation of Elkhart CountyElkhart County
Fayette County FoundationConnersille and Fayette County
Franklin County Community Foundation Inc.Franklin County
The Greater Cincinnati Foundation (GCF)Dearborn County
Greene County Foundation Inc.Green County
Hancock County Community Foundation Inc.Hancock County
Harrison County Community FoundationHarrison County
Hendricks County Community FoundationHendricks County
Henry County Community Foundation Inc.Henry County
Heritage Fund: The Community Foundation of Bartholomew CountyBartholomew County
Huntingburg FoundationHuntingburg and Dubois County
Huntington County Community Foundation Inc.Huntington County
The Indianapolis FoundationMarion County
The Jasper Foundation Inc.Jasper and Newton Counties
Jennings County Community Foundation Inc.Jennings County
Johnson County Community Foundation Inc.Johnson County
Kosciusko County Community FoundationKosciusko County, IN and vicinity
Lagrange County Community FoundationLagrange County
Legacy Foundation Inc.Gary, Hobart, and Lake County
Madison County Community FoundationMadison County
Marshall County Community FoundationMarshall County
Montgomery County Community FoundationMontgomery County
Noble County Community FoundationNoble County
Northern Indiana Community FoundationFulton, Miami, and Starke Counties
Ohio County Community Foundation Inc.Ohio County
Orange County Community Foundation Inc.Orange County
Owen County Community Foundation Inc.Owen County
Parke County Community Foundation Inc.Parke County
The Porter County Community Foundation Inc.Porter County
The Portland FoundationJay County
Pulaski County Community FoundationPulaski County
The Putnam County Community FoundationPutnam County
Ripley County Community Foundation Inc.Ripley County
Rush County Community FoundationRush County
Scott County Community FoundationScott County
South Madison Community FoundationSouth Madison County
Steuben County Community FoundationSteuben County
Tipton County FoundationTipton County
Union County Foundation Inc. Union County
Unity Foundation of LaPorte County Inc.LaPorte County
Vermillion County Community FoundationVermillion County
Wabash Valley Community Foundation Inc.Clay, Sullivan, and Vigo Counties
Warren County Community Foundation Inc.Warren County
The Washington County Community FoundationWashington County
Wayne County Foundation Inc.Wayne County
Wells County Foundation Inc.Wells County
Western Indiana Community Foundation Inc.Covington
Whitley County Community FoundationWhitley County

Many community foundations offer scholarships for students from or living in their geographic focus. Listed below are some community foundations found in Ohio. If yours is not listed, we highly recommend you find and contact your community foundation about any scholarships they might offer.

Foundation NameGeographic Focus
The Community Foundation of Shelby CountyShelby County
The Darke Community FoundationDarke County
The Dayton FoundationDayton
The Greater Cincinnati FoundationCincinnati
Mercer County Civic FoundationMercer County


Offset your education costs.

A number of grants are made available to ease the cost of your college education. This form of funding does not need to be repaid by you or your family, so be sure to check all the information below to see if you are eligible.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students pursuing their first undergraduate degree. To be eligible for this award, the recipient must demonstrate exceptional financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This award is a need-based award.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is awarded to students who show exceptional need through their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Students who fill out the FAFSA by the Indiana state deadline and receive the Federal Pell Grant will automatically be considered for the award.

The Frank O’Bannon Grant is given to Indiana residents that show financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who meet the grant eligibility requirements and submit their FAFSA by the Indiana State deadline are automatically considered for the award.

Requirements to maintain Frank O'Bannon Grant.
Students need to complete at least 24 or 30 hours each year in order to qualify for the next "On Time" or "Full Time" Academic year awards:
"On Time" award = 30 hours and you would receive maximum award

"Full Time " award = 24-29 hours and you receive 800 dollars a year less

Students can start their Frank O' Bannon award year in the fall or spring.

FALL start would consists of fall-spring-summer
SPRING start would consists of spring-summer-fall

Summer Awards

Students can receive summer awards if they have not received their full amount for the year. They do not have to be full time to receive.

Fast Track provides qualified 21st Century Scholars and Frank O’Bannon Grant recipients with the option to use additional state financial aid in their current award year, in exchange for deducting additional eligibility units. This program is effective in a term where the student has used 100% of their Frank O'Bannon Grant or 21st Century Scholarship , earned at least 30 credits within the award year and has remaining eligibility.

CVO Grants are given to children of a disabled Indiana veteran or public safety officer killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty.

  • Recipients must submit a completed Indiana CVO Application form from the State of Indiana.
  • Be an Indiana resident.
  • Be enrolled in at least 1 credit hour.

The CVO Grant covers the cost of tuition and mandatory fees for up to 124 credit hours for a student. This grant does not cover distance education fees. The difference in tuition must be covered by the student or other aid.

Students who have not reached their 124 credit hour limit, may use their award for a second bachelors at the same benefit as the first, or may use it towards a graduate degree. This grant will only pay the undergraduate tuition and mandatory fee rate, but graduate tuition and mandatory fees are higher. The additional cost would be need to be covered by the student or other aid.

In order to apply, the student must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file, along with a Certified Indiana CVO Application form.

Students are able to take as many summer classes as they please up to their 124 credit hour limit.

Transfer students can use their CVO benefits at Purdue Fort Wayne, but must supply a new Indiana CVO Application form that has been certified to the Financial Aid Office. Once, we have received all of this information, the student's grant benefits will be posted to their accounts.

Learn more on The Commission for Higher Education website.

The National Guard Tuition Supplement Grant provides 100% tuition and regularly assessed fees at an Indiana institution for eligible members of the Indiana Air and Army National Guard. Students can attend either full-time or part-time.

The National Guard Tuition Supplement Grant provides an annual award of up to $5,000 towards tuition and regularly assessed fees at an Indiana private, non-profit college or university for eligible members of the Indiana Air and Army National Guard. Students can attend either full-time or part-time.


Indiana National Guard Requirements

  • Must be a member of the Indiana National Guard in active drilling status**
  • Must not have been AWOL at any time during the 12 months prior to their enrollment in college for any academic term**
  • Must have all required ING paperwork submitted and approved to their ING education office prior to the start of classes (each semester). Forms and submission processes differ by ING branch. Students should contact their unit commander for details.

**PLEASE NOTE: Students must contact their unit commander for certification and must be recertified each semester to receive the NGSG.

State Financial Aid Requirements

  • Must be a high school graduate or hold a GED (ING might have other restrictions)
  • Must file the current year FAFSA with an eligible Indiana institution listed. 
  • Must be seeking first Associate, Bachelor’s, or Master's degree at a public institution in the State of Indiana (please view the Eligible Indiana Institutions for details)
  • Must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements as established by the institution
  • Must have filed an application for and, if applicable, used any federal and state financial assistance available to attend a State institution


Student interested in applying for the Indiana National Guard, or students with questions regarding eligibility and certification, should contact their unit commander.

National Guard Scholarship Extension Program
The National Guard Scholarship Extension Program is a limited scholarship that provides 100% of tuition and regularly assessed to former National Guard members who left the Guard under honorable discharge conditions, used the National Guard Supplement Grant in the past, and who served on active duty overseas since September 10, 2001. Students can attend either full time or part time. Former Guardsmen who believe they may qualify for this program can review the application and rules at or contact:

Indiana Army National Guard
2002 South Holt Road
Indianapolis, IN 46241
ATTN: Education Services Office


Indiana’s 21st Century Scholars program is an early-college promise program designed to make college more affordable for students.  

Eligible students who meet requirements receive a two- or four-year scholarship that pays up to 100% tuition at an eligible Indiana college or university.

Students must be automatically enrolled in or apply to the 21st Century Scholars program by June 30 of the end of their 8th-grade year. The only exception is that students in foster care may enroll in high school. Indiana offers many other financial aid programs if students miss the enrollment deadline.


Before you come to campus:

  • Complete all Scholar Success Program activities in ScholarTrack By June 30.
  • Make sure your high school diploma and final GPA are reported to 21st Century Scholars via ScholarTrack.
  • Upgrade your ScholarTrack account by going to My Account and click "Upgrade My Account."
  • Enroll in an Indiana college or university within a year of graduating from high school.
  • Must be enrolled full-time by the end of the fourth week of classes, does not include wait-listed classes.

Becoming a Full-time student:

  • Enroll and remain enrolled full-time each semester you use funding (12 credit hours minimum to be considered full time.)
  • File the FAFSA each year by the State deadline. This year, the State deadline is April 15.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

To learn more about signing up for the program, please go to 

Federal Work-study Program

Get paid while you learn.

The Federal Work-Study Program helps you pay for your college education by providing you with a part-time job that is
community-service based or related to your educational studies.

Students in a classroom
Accent texture
ROTC color guard

Military Tuition Assistance

Take a look at what we have available to help you.

If you’re active duty or reserve military, discover how to use your military tuition assistance benefit at Purdue Fort Wayne.


More options to help afford your degree.

Loans can help cover any remaining cost you have after scholarship, grant, and work-study options have been depleted. See what options you have.

Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans are federal student loans offered by the US Department of Education to help eligible students cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. (You might see Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans referred to as Stafford Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.)

The US Department of Education issues Direct PLUS Loans to eligible parents and graduate or professional students through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program.

A Direct PLUS Loan is commonly referred to as a Parent PLUS Loan when issued to a parent, and a Grad PLUS Loan when issued to a graduate or professional student.

The Office of Financial Aid cautions you to undergo research into all options and consider the cost of both types of loans—federal and private. Federal loans have proven over the years to be less expensive and allow for more flexibility than loans taken from the private market.

FastChoice INvestEd 

Questa Education Foundation’s scholar programs are available to bridge the financial gap between college costs and available resources to help students from the Northeast Indiana region graduate with less debt. Questa offers low-interest, forgivable loans that could be up to 75% forgiven.

Who Does Questa Serve?
Questa serves a variety of individuals pursuing further education throughout the 11 counties of Northeast Indiana including: Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Whitley, Wabash and Wells.

Learn more about Questa's programs here.

Bridge at sunset

Graduate and International Student Aid

Explore the aid options available to you.

Graduate and international students often qualify for different types of financial aid, so be sure to check out these sites to ensure that you’re getting the information you need.

Summer Aid

Studying through the summer?

Financial aid for the summer works a little differently than for the fall and spring. Read the following information to find out more.

Financial aid is for the fall and spring semesters. Summer courses are regarded as a trailing semester, and financial aid eligibility is based on your remaining eligibility from the current academic year. This means you may not be eligible to receive aid for summer courses if you have used your financial aid during the fall and spring semesters of the academic year.

To be eligible for summer aid, you must meet these requirements:

  • Be enrolled or admitted prior to the summer term
  • Be a permanent transfer student (If you are a temporary transfer student, you are not eligible for aid unless you are a student at Purdue University and are looking to take classes here for the summer. If this scenario applies to you, contact the PFW Office of Financial Aid.)
  • Have a FAFSA on file with our school code

If you are eligible for the Pell Grant and did not attend full-time during the fall or spring, you may be eligible for summer aid. Please be aware that Pell Grants will not cover the full amount of your summer tuition and fees.

You may eligible for summer aid if you have received a scholarship for summer funding. You can also receive summer aid if you are eligible for the Child of Certain Veterans or Public Safety Officers Supplemental Grant (CVO) award. To receive this grant, you must have a current FAFSA on file, and if you were selected to complete the verification process, it must be completed before your CVO can be awarded for summer.

If there’s a chance you may take summer classes, remember to keep some of your Direct Loan funds available. If you use all of your Direct Loan funds during the fall and spring, you will not have any left for summer courses. Direct Loans also require you to be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours over the summer enrollment period.

Contact Us

Have questions?


Contact the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected] or 260-481-6820.