College of Visual and Performing Arts
College of Visual and Performing Arts

John O'Connell,  Dean

Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne
2101 E. Coliseum Boulevard
Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1499

  • Office: Visual Arts Building
  • Room: VA102
  • Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 am-5 pm

  • Phone: 260-481-6977
  • Fax: 260-481-6707
  • E-mail:


IPFW Box Office

Art and Design | School of Music | Theatre

Many of our students are required to complete an internship as part of their degree program. To find out how to apply for an internship or post an opening for an intern contact the departments listed.

Visual Communication and Design

The VPA Supervised Internship Program provides a meaningful career-related experience to Visual Communication and Design majors who have achieved junior status (60 credits). The internships are paid or volunteer and may be arranged in any of a variety of organizational settings. Students register and receive three to 15 credit hours, working 32 hours per credit. Internships satisfy a free elective in any degree program and will meet the internship requirement in certain degree programs. For more internship information, contact the Department of Visual Communication and Design chair at 260-481-6709.


Upon completion of all coursework, music therapy majors do a six-month internship under the supervision of a professional and credentialed music therapist at an AMTA-approved clinical site. Under special circumstances some internships may be university-based, performed at a local site and jointly supervised by a professional music therapist and the IPFW Director of Music Therapy.

Some students majoring in Music and an Outside Field have the opportunity to do an internship in their outside field. Those students whose outside field is business, audio recording technology, arts management and similar fields are placed with a business or organization appropriate to their field of study, where they work for 90 - 120 hours under the supervision of the cooperating agency. Students majoring in Music and an Outside Field of Theatre do a senior project, jointly supervised by the Department of Music and the Department of Theatre.

Music | Visual Communication and Design | Externships