department of art and design
Pursue your passion in art and design.
The Department of Art and Design provides the support and resources you need to flourish and succeed. You’ll have access to state-of-the-art, safe, well-equipped studios; small classes and personalized mentoring; to world-class visiting artists, workshops, and exhibitions; and faculty who are noted art makers and researchers.
WHAT WE STAND FOR
The Department of Art and Design is affiliated with the following professional and student organizations:
- American Society of Interior Designers
- Art Education Association of Indiana
- International Interior Design Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts
Purdue University Fort Wayne is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
The mission of the Department of Art and Design is to serve our students and community in the following ways:
- Provide an engaging educational experience for artists, designers, and educators
- Foster an environment of research and creative endeavor
- Offer comprehensive programs in art and design that focus on the development of technical and conceptual skills through creative investigations
- Promote appreciation and critical awareness of the visual arts through community and global engagement
The Department of Art and Design values the following:
- The pursuit of knowledge in an environment that encourages free and open inquiry
- The cultivation of creativity
- The highest academic, artistic, and ethical standards
- Artistic and scholarly collaboration
- Interdisciplinary inquiry and scholarship
- The professional commitment, innovations, and accomplishments of faculty and staff
- Partnerships with the community to enhance creative and intellectual culture in the region
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
The Department of Art and Design will continue to be regionally recognized for preparing students to succeed as lifelong learners and art and design professionals through the following ways:
- The excellence, value, and accessibility of its programs
- Its exceptional academic curricula and facilities that foster unique teaching, learning, and professional practice experiences for our students
- The scholarly and creative accomplishments of its faculty, staff, students, and alumni
- Its contributions to the quality of artistic and creative culture in the region
Sharing a commitment to the region’s art scene.
The Department of Art and Design is committed to collaborating with and supporting regional arts organizations. These include the following:
- American Advertising Federation of Fort Wayne
- Area Schools
- Blue Jacket Inc.
- The Bradley Hotel
- First Presbyterian Church
- Fort Wayne Community Schools
- GEAR-UP Fort Wayne Schools
Hone your skills and stoke your creativity.
Discover everything you need in specialized studios, classrooms, a woodshop, three computer labs, a 65-seat multimedia lecture hall, and the Visual Arts Gallery. Our specialized art studios, including a woodshop and hot-work area, provide space for the study and production of ceramics, sculpture, metalsmithing, printmaking, painting, and drawing. The digital arts studios feature computer labs with the most up-to-date software for graphic design, web design, and photography, along with a workroom for assembly and airbrushing.