Skip to main content
An education student visiting the library

Student Resources

Department of Teacher Education


A member of the Herd is always available.

Find help, guidance, and assistance in the Department of Teacher Education—and across campus.

A student activity at an education event in the ballroom
Accent texture
Accent texture
A student teacher with student in elementary science


Do more with your degree.

Interested in transitioning to be coming a teacher? This program will allow you to pair a teaching certification with your existing degree so that you can make a difference in the classroom.

Student studying her class notes in a computer lab.


Student Success Center

The Student Success Center is your home for teacher education help. Here, you can speak with an advisor to plan out your semester, gain guidance on the best courses for your future, and get the advice you need for a successful education experience.


Get help funding your education.

Teacher education students may be eligible for the Daryl R. and Joenita K. Yost Endowed Scholarship, Elizabeth and Kirk Shuster Endowed Scholarship for Elementary Education, Gerald G. Szymanki Scholarship, Glen and Chris Bickel Scholarship, Helen F. Pyles Elementary Education Scholarship, Kirby Education Scholarship, Ron Venderly Education Scholarships, Sandra Warner Davis and Miles B. Davis Scholarship in Education, and the Purdue Fort Wayne Scholarship. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected].

Student teacher in a classroom


Resources you need.

Find the tests, certifications, reports, and forms you are looking for on your journey to become a teacher.

You completed your courses. You fulfilled the student-teaching requirements. You have your hard-earned Purdue Fort Wayne bachelor of science degree in education. Now what? It’s time to pass the state exams and obtain certificates in both CPR and suicide prevention. Then, you will be ready to apply for an original Indiana license.

Questions? Contact Jim Beard, academic advisor and director of licensing, at [email protected] or 260-481-4100.

Apply for Your License

Licensure, Testing, & Test Prep Information

As a licensed teacher, you have two certificates you can earn to help you and your students be successful.

  Graduate Certification in Special Education Teaching English as a New Language (TENL) Certificate
Number of Credits 18 18
Faculty Contact Person

Jane Leatherman
[email protected]

Shannon Bischoff
[email protected] 

More Information Special Education Teaching English as a New Language


Initiate Criminal History Report Application

A Criminal History Report (CHR) must be obtained from Safe Hiring Solutions (SHS) unless you are an early childhood education major being placed in a Head Start setting.

Start Your Report Application

Note: You will need to use your personal email address on the application, not your Purdue Fort Wayne email address.

Check Your Email

After submitting your application, you will receive two sets of emails. One set will include a link, username, and password from [email protected]

A few days later, you will receive another set of emails with a link and password from [email protected]. This is the DCS portion of your application. You must fill out both portions of your application in order for your CHR to process.

If you don’t receive these emails, check your Spam or Junk Folder. If you still don't have the emails, call Safe Hiring Solutions at 888-215-8296.

Information for Early Childhood Education and Dual Majors

If you are an early childhood education major or a dual major who is being placed in a Head Start setting, you must follow two different procedures.

For an early-childhood-setting experience (Head Start), you will need to obtain a National Full Criminal History Check through IdentoGO. During this online application, choose the agency name “Family and Social Services Administration” and the application category “Child Care Center volunteer.” Continue with prompts and pay the fee. Once completed, these reports will go directly to the FSSA. You will need to keep copies of your receipt from IdentoGO to submit to each childcare program to which you are assigned.

For a field experience or student-teaching experience in a public or private preschool–12 school district, use the Safe Hiring Solutions. This report includes a federal district courts search.

If you have a noneducation bachelor’s degree, you can complete a certification-only option that leads to an Indiana teaching license. This option is for students in the early childhood generalist (preschool–3), elementary generalist (K–6), middle school only (5–9), and secondary (5–12) programs.

Requirements for Admission to the Program

  • Have a bachelor’s degree
  • Pass a basic skills assessment exam or approved alternative measure
  • Take one or more content specific exams relevant to the subject of the license  

Note: All content exams must be passed prior to student teaching.


Early Childhood Certification (P–3) Elementary Certification 

Secondary Certification

Number of Credit Hours     51 61 36
Minimum Number of Semesters 4 5 3, if started in spring; 4, if started in fall
Student Teaching Yes, one semester Yes, one semester Yes, one semester
Course Requirements Early Childhood Certification Elementary Certification

Middle School Only


Middle School Only
(choose two content areas)

Language Arts Mathematics Science Social Studies and Historical Perspectives (choose one minor) World Languages
Language Arts English 
(Language Arts)
Mathematics Biology
(Life Science)
Economics Spanish
Math     Chemistry Political Science  
Science     Earth Space Science Sociology  
Social Studies     Physics Psychology  


Academic Resources

The support you need.


Your education is not a singular pursuit, and we recognize that. You’ll have plenty of support from the Mastodon community.