Enlighten yourself to the wonders of human behavior.
Your curiosity combined with your eagerness to understand will take you far. We’re just here to help you turn what you already love into a rewarding and fulfilling career.
LGBT Studies Certificate
If you are interested in the psychological, societal, and legal issues relevant to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals and seek a better understanding of sexuality and sexual orientation, then this is the certificate for you. With this certificate, you can also demonstrate to potential employers your dedication to diversity and your knowledge for working with individuals from the LGBT population.
Appreciation of diversity in human thought and experience
Familiarity with psychological, societal, and legal issues relevant to LGBT individuals
Understanding of sexuality and sexual orientation
Support from the Mastodon community
A prestigious Purdue education
Looking for ways to make paying for college a little easier? ScholarshipUniverse is a tool for current and admitted Purdue Fort Wayne students that allows you to create an academic profile and connect with scholarship opportunities.
For more information about all the scholarships available at Purdue Fort Wayne—including opportunities for specific programs—you can visit the Office of Financial Aid or contact us at [email protected].
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of issues relevant to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals and communicate this knowledge effectively to others
- Identify and apply the methods of inquiry for the disciplines that examine issues relevant to LGBT individuals and use those methods to evaluate information about LGBT individuals and other issues pertinent to sexual orientation and sexual identity
- Recognize harassment and discrimination based on sexual orientation, and identify appropriate legal resources used to assist victims of such harassment or discrimination
- Develop citizenship skills and knowledge of LGBT resources in the community
- Investigate companies’ policies and organizational cultures to determine attitudes toward LGBT employees
- Adoption Caseworker
- Civil Rights Lawyer
- Communications Specialist
- Community Organizer
- Event Coordinator
- Human Resources Generalist
- LGBTQ Program Coordinator
- Mental Health Counselor
- Nonprofit Administrator
- Sexuality Therapist
- Social Worker
- Youth Counselor