RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER AND MONITOR
Respondus LockDown Browser is a specialized Web browser that secures student's computer by preventing access to other browsers, chat programs, and other application during an online exam. It is available for PCs and MACs.
Respondus Monitor requires students to use a webcam. Student may not have access to a webcam. They may also consider scanning their environment to be invasive, especially when they take the quiz at home. If this was not communicated to students when they registered for the course, it is recommended that faculty not require students to use Respondus Monitor for quizzes.
Instructors do not need to download the LockDown Browser to set up the exam. However, it is recommended that instructors consider the following factors:
- Consider the technological requirements for using LockDown Browser:
- Respondus Lockdown Browser does not work on Chromebooks or Android devices
- Linux and Android devices are not supported
- The LockDown Browser iPad app is not compatible with Sakai LMS servers. All Sakai users will need to use a computer with a compatible operating system
- Design a practice quiz/test to allow students to:
- get familiar with the system
- identify potential problems, and
- get help from the help desk
- The Respondus LockDown browser does not prevent students from using another device.
- The Respondus Monitor requries student to record their test environment. If instructors reqire the students to show their surroundings, students need to be able to move the webcam around the room. Therefore, affixed webcam could be a problem (e.g., and internal webcam on a big monitor).
- If instructors allow it, Respondus LockDown Browser also works on iPads.
Respondus Monitor is used to capture the audio and video of students while they take their exams and requires the use of Repsondus LockDown Browser. If Respondus Monitor is ued, then a webcam and microphone are required. It is recommended that students pre-install LockDown Browser on their computers.