Campus Advertising Policies
To provide campus groups the opportunity to promote events, posters and postings should be prepared, displayed, and removed in accordance with the posting policy. Doing so will ensure effective campus postings that reduce waste, restrict unauthorized publicity, and encourage safety and campus attractiveness.
Any damage to university property will be charged to the sponsor. Unauthorized postings will be removed, and violators can be referred to the dean of students to pursue appropriate action.
Approval guidelines for posters and posting:
- Campus groups need no prior approval for posters or postings except as noted elsewhere in this policy.
- Outside groups not associated with an event on campus must have their posters approved and stamped by the Student Life and Leadership (SLL) office prior to posting in designated locations.
- Outside groups affiliated with an event on campus must have their posters approved and stamped by the Special Events office.
- Commercial advertising and solicitation (such as for taverns, alcohol, weapons, trips, cars, and magazines) are not allowed. Purdue Fort Wayne will consider exceptions for educationally beneficial products (such as computers) offered at a significant discount to Purdue Fort Wayne students (but not to the general public).
- Postings that violate the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct are not permitted.
- No activities prohibited by university regulations or local, state, or federal laws may be publicized.
- Postings of regular class meetings, course offerings, and office hours are not permitted.
- Placing fliers on car windshields is prohibited on Purdue Fort Wayne property.
Specifications for posting
- Posters or postings larger than 11" x 17", including freestanding items such as pull-up banners and easels, must be approved by the SLL office.
- A maximum of one posting per event / per campus group / per bulletin board (approximately 30 posters in all) is permitted.
- Posters may be displayed for up to two weeks (unless approved for longer display, based on available space, by the SLL office) or until the publicized information becomes obsolete, whichever comes first.
- All postings must include the name(s) of the individual(s) or group(s) sponsoring the publicized information and posting window featuring Start Date and End Date in lower-
rightcorner of the posted document.
- Parking garage banners and signs larger than sandwich boards must obtain approval from the SLL office. Once approved, the SLL office will reserve space for the banner or sign through the Special Events office. The SLL office will then coordinate with the Physical Plant for installation and removal of the banners/signs.
- Posting on glass surfaces is strictly prohibited.
Physical Posting Locations:
- See the Posting Locations tab for building details.
- Contact the Student Housing office for approved housing locations.
- Posting is approved in the following locations only and is prohibited in areas not listed below:
- Office doors, with the permission of the occupant.
- Tack strips in stairwell landings, if available (campus groups only).
- Kiosks and bulletin boards (unless designated for the exclusive use of a Purdue Fort Wayne unit).
- Day of event directional signage such as sandwich boards, yard signs (aka “realtor signs”) and
sign boardsshall be directional in nature and shall be removed at the conclusion of event. All banners and self-supporting signs and their location indoors and outdoors must be approved in advance by the SLL office in accordance with guidelines established by the SLL office and the Physical Plant.
- Sidewalks: Campus groups may write messages in chalk on horizontal sidewalk surfaces for special purposes, such as student elections, with prior approval from the SLL office. For safety reasons, posters and messages should not be within 20 feet of a doorway. Sidewalk chalk may not be used under awnings or similar overhangs.
- Acrylic six-sided table tents
- 80 - 5" x 7" fliers delivered to SLL office
- Toilet Times
StudentGovernment office for further information.
Materials for affixing posters
- For cork bulletin boards and tack strips, use tacks or stick pins only.
- For self-supporting signs, use materials recommended by the Student Life office.
- For sidewalks, only use outdoor chalk.
- Self-adhesive stickers or decals may not be used anywhere.
- Use of any tape to hang signs is prohibited
- Any exceptions to the above guidelines must be approved in writing by the assistant vice chancellor for student life and leadership. Emergency or closing notices approved by the chancellor are exempt from this policy. Use of library space for easels, displays, or postings requires the approval of the library director.