Skip to main content
Default Hero Image

Policies, Procedures, and Forms

Financial Aid

Learn about all the fine print.

With financial aid comes policies and procedures, many of which are in place to help in different situations as they arise. Learn about it all—and find the various financial aid forms you need—right here.

Student smiling
Accent texture

Financial Aid Literacy

Learn before ever stepping foot in a classroom.

Financial aid can be daunting on many different levels. Will you get the aid you need? How much do you need? When and what do you need to pay back? Not to mention getting a grasp on all the types of aid available and what it all means for your future. Take some time to become familiar with what’s expected regarding financial aid.

By allowing federal, state, Purdue Fort Wayne, or outside financial aid awards to be paid to your student account, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions as outlined herein:

  • All Purdue Fort Wayne financial aid policies and fund rules are published on our website. The student is agreeing to these published policies and the terms and conditions as outlined below by allowing financial aid awards to pay to their student account.
  • The goPFW email account is the official method of communication from Purdue Fort Wayne to students. The Office of Financial Aid communicates to students via email to their goPFW student email account. It is the student’s responsibility to check their email daily.
  • Financial aid awards are awarded for a period of one academic year only. An academic year is defined as the fall and spring semesters. Any financial aid a student is awarded will be divided equally between the fall and the spring semesters. Students are responsible for knowing what the renewal requirements are for their financial aid awards and/or if they need to apply annually. Renewal of financial aid awards is not guaranteed.
  • Students are required to notify the Office of Financial Aid of any scholarships, loans, book allowances, or other forms of assistance extended to them from sources outside Purdue Fort Wayne. Adjustments of financial aid may create a balance due if the external funds are applied after other financial aid awards have been paid to the student’s account.
  • The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right, on behalf of Purdue Fort Wayne, to review and cancel any award at any time because of changes to a student’s financial status, academic status, or regulations of the financial aid the student received. All changes reflected on goPFW will result in an email to the student’s account and serve as notification of changes made.
  • Financial aid is awarded to a student contingent upon maintaining standards as set forth by the institution’s Federal Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress policies.
  • Payment of financial aid to the student’s billing (bursar) account is called disbursement. Disbursement of a student's financial aid award(s) (excluding Federal Work-Study) will be in the form of a direct payment to the student’s billing (bursar) account. Any credit balance will be refunded by check or direct deposit. Federal Work-Study earnings will be paid directly to the student on a biweekly basis via direct deposit or check.
  • Financial aid will be awarded and posted to student accounts based on presumed full-time enrollment (undergraduate = minimum of 12 credit hours; graduate = minimum of 8 credit hours). Should the student register for less than full-time enrollment, changes to their financial aid may be required per federal, state, or institutional regulations that govern the financial aid the student was awarded with.
  • The student is responsible for ensuring that their financial aid, payment plan, cash, or outside resources (e.g., credit card payment) are completed in a timely manner to ensure that their direct costs billed to them by Purdue Fort Wayne are paid in full by the posted billing due dates. Failure to do this will result in late fees. Students can access their current bill at any time via their goPFW student account.
  • A student receiving federal financial aid earns their aid based on the number of days that they attend class. A student receiving federal aid who fully withdraws from Purdue Fort Wayne before they have attended for at least 60 percent of the term will have their federal aid eligibility recalculated based on the number of days the student attended. Purdue Fort Wayne is required per federal guidelines to return the unearned federal financial aid to the appropriate federal financial aid authority. Therefore, the student will in turn be billed for the amount of unearned federal financial aid that was removed from their student account and returned to the government.
  • A student receiving state financial aid earns said aid based on their enrollment at the end of the 28th class day of the semester. Therefore, state aid will be affected should that student drop below 12 credit hours before that date. State aid will not pay for all fees charged, and specifically will not pay distance-education fees. The state provides an electronic financial aid award notice to every student, and this financial aid award notice is the final authority to determine the amount of state financial aid a student will receive.
  • Federal Pell Grant financial aid awards are finalized based on hours of enrollment as a first-bachelor-degree-seeking student at the end of the fourth week of classes. Therefore, the amount of the Pell Grant financial aid award for a student will be affected should that student fully or partially drop from classes before the end of the fifth week of classes. There is a lifetime maximum eligibility limit for receiving the Federal Pell Grant:  A student is eligible for 12 full-time semesters of Pell Grant (or lifetime eligibility usage (LEU) = 600 percent. This financial aid award may change after a federal review of financial aid received in the past is completed.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time in order to receive Federal Direct Loans financial aid awards and to remain in the loan-deferment time period. If a student is eligible to graduate midyear, the Federal Direct Loans financial aid awards, as well as the student’s cost of attendance, will be reviewed to determine final financial aid eligibility based on that semester’s hours of enrollment. Appropriate adjustments to the student’s financial aid awards will be made if necessary, as required per federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
  • A student may be awarded employment financial aid under the Federal Work-Study program (FWS). The amount of FWS aid shown on the award letter is the maximum a student can expect to earn during the academic year as a result of work performed. The student will be paid for only those hours actually worked.
  • Students planning to attend two different colleges or universities in the same semester should inform the Purdue Fort Wayne Office of Financial Aid and be sure to know the rules pertaining to this choice. In general, it is a violation of federal law to receive federal financial aid at two different schools during the same period of enrollment.
  • Students are obligated to keep their Purdue Fort Wayne record current with any changes to their name, address, or phone number.
  • Students who are incarcerated in a state or federal correctional institution are required by federal law to inform the Office of Financial Aid of their incarceration.
  • Students must be admitted and enrolled as degree-seeking students at Purdue Fort Wayne. Students admitted and enrolled as “temporary intercampus transfers” or “graduate students at large” are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional funds.

The Purdue Fort Wayne policy governing access to student records, which complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, is described below:

A record includes any data or information about you as the student and related individuals, regardless of the media used to create or maintain the record.

Educational records include records maintained by the institution but exclude records maintained by individuals and available only to those individuals or designated substitutes (that is, “personal files”). Your educational records are located and maintained by administrators in one or more of the following offices: Career Development Center; Office of Admissions; Office of Development and Alumni Relations; Department of Intercollegiate Athletics; Office of the Bursar; The First Year Advising Center; Division of Continuing Studies; Office of Financial Aid; Honors Program; University Police; Office of the Registrar; Office of Academic Affairs; and academic units.

Note: The registrar’s office is the only university office authorized to issue official transcripts and to certify students’ enrollment status. All requests for such documentation must be directed to that office.

Public information consists of your name, class standing, college/school/division, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards, recognized student activities, sports, athletics information, and current enrollment status; your address and telephone number are also public information, unless you have filed a registrar’s form to keep these private. Records of arrests and/or convictions are public records and thus not subject to university policy.

Note: If you wish to restrict the release of your address and telephone number, you must do so by the end of the first week of classes for a session in order to exclude this information from any student directory that may be published.

The confidentiality of all records may be broken in an emergency if deemed necessary by the severity of the emergency, the usefulness of the records, and the extent to which time is critical.

Your records are available to you, with the following exceptions: confidential letters of recommendation submitted prior to 1975; records of your parents’ financial status; records related to your student employment that are subject to other laws and are administered by Human Resources and Office of Institutional Equity; medical and psychological records, which will be released only to a healthcare professional designated by you; and, if you signed a voluntary waiver of access, letters of recommendation related to admission, candidacy for awards, and candidacy for employment. (These records may be used only for the purpose originally intended.)

You may see any of your available records within 30 days after submitting a written request, either in person or by mail, and may copy any of these records, subject only to payment of any applicable copying charges. You will receive an interpretation of the record upon request, at or after the time that access is granted.

If you object to any part of your record and the responsible office will not revise the record as requested, you may request a formal hearing concerning the objection. Policies and procedures governing the hearing process will be specified by the vice chancellor for academic affairs.

Your records are available to members of the faculty and staff who have a legitimate need for them, as determined by the administrator of the office responsible for maintenance of the record.

Except as specified below, your records will be released only upon completion of a consent form or letter you have signed. Any such release will include a notice that further release by the recipient is prohibited by law. A record of the release will be maintained.

Records about you will be released without your consent to your parents if you are a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service; to federal officers as prescribed by law; as required by state law; to agencies or individuals conducting educational research, provided that the administrator of the records is satisfied concerning the legitimacy of the research effort and the confidentiality to be maintained by the researcher; to agencies responsible for accreditation of the institution or its programs; in response to a lawful subpoena, after making reasonable attempts to provide prior notification and opportunity for objection by you; and to institutional security officers when necessary for a criminal investigation.

Purdue Fort Wayne reserves the right to maintain only those records it considers useful and to set retention schedules for various categories of those records. However, the administrator responsible for each category of records will ensure that a record being challenged is not destroyed prior to resolution of the dispute.

As a recipient of financial aid (federal, state, and institutional), you are required to make reasonable academic progress toward the completion of your degree requirements. We evaluate the standards for satisfactory academic progress (SAP) at the end of each academic semester (fall, spring, and summer) and at the time of the awarding of any aid. The SAP policy consists of a completion requirement, a grade point average requirement, and a maximum-time-frame requirement.

You must complete at least 67 percent of your hours attempted cumulatively. If you fail to meet this requirement, you will be placed on SAP warning. If you fail to complete at least 33 percent of your attempted hours cumulatively, you will be placed on SAP suspension.

Hours attempted include all financial aid–eligible courses. For the purposes of this policy, hours attempted with grades of F,W, I, NP−, or NC are considered incomplete. We do not offer noncredit remedial courses, and we do not transfer in noncredit remedial courses.

If you repeat a course, we will consider the hours from the first attempt and any subsequent attempts in the course-completion calculation.

Grade Point Average
As an undergraduate, you must have all credits completed and a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.0. If you are a graduate student, you must have all credits completed and a minimum CGPA of 3.0. If you are a graduate student, see the academic standards of your program for further information.

We will incorporate only the most recent grade earned in a repeated course in the GPA calculation. If your grade changes, then our Office of Financial Aid will be notified and we will recalculate your GPA. Our Office of Financial Aid will then contact you if it changes your status under SAP.

Maximum Time Frame
The maximum time frame you have to complete your degree is equal to 150 percent of the hours required for the completion of your degree or certificate. As a general rule, a bachelor’s degree has a maximum of 122 hours attempted. You will be placed on SAP suspension after attempting 183 hours (150 percent of 122 credit hours). We include hours transferred from previous institutions in this requirement.

Note: If you are seeking a second degree or certificate, you will still have your hours from the first degree counted in your total hours attempted. For example, if you had completed a bachelor’s degree while attempting 130 hours at Purdue Fort Wayne, you would start out with those same 130 hours attempted before taking a single class toward your second degree.

If you are a financial aid (federal, state, and institutional) recipient and do not meet the SAP standards, you will be placed on a warning status and notified in writing that you have the opportunity to repair your record through enrollment and counseling.

If you fail to meet SAP in your next semester of enrollment, you will be notified through your goPFW email that you are on a suspension status and are no longer eligible for financial aid (federal, state, and institutional). You may provide a written appeal within 30 days of the date of notification if extenuating circumstances exist.

Federal regulations require that Purdue Fort Wayne use a Return of Title IV Funds calculation if you are receiving Title IV financial aid (Pell, Perkins, SEOG, and Direct Loans) and discontinue study during a given semester. If you discontinue study (withdraw or do not attend) from all courses in the semester and have previously been awarded these funds, the we must determine if these funds must be returned to the appropriate financial aid programs.

We are required to perform the calculation within 45 days of the discontinuance of study. The policy statement below is for your information and reference; please call the Office of Financial Aid at 260-481-6820 with questions regarding the effect and changes of your financial aid award if you are discontinuing study at Purdue Fort Wayne.

This is the date that you discontinue studies at Purdue Fort Wayne. For official withdrawals, the withdrawal date will be when you inform Purdue Fort Wayne.

This is the federally mandated process by which a school calculates the amount of federal funds to be returned for a Title IV aid recipient who withdraws or who ceases attendance during a semester. The calculations may result in a reduction of your Title IV loan and grant aid to reflect the percentage of the semester that you attended, if you attended 60 percent or less of the semester. The Return of Title IV calculation is based on this information:

  • The number of days the you attended
  • The institutional charges assessed
  • The total amount of Title IV aid awarded, accepted, and or disbursed

Furthermore, we—and you—may be required to return any “unearned” federal assistance.

Federal financial aid regulations require that any student who fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course in the semester shall be considered as having unofficially withdrawn.

At the end of each semester, Purdue Fort Wayne will review the academic transcripts of federal financial aid recipients to identify students who have no passing grades as a result of nonattendance or unofficial withdrawal. The Return of Title IV calculation will be performed (after the semester has ended and grades are available) using the midpoint of the semester as the unofficial withdrawal date. Based on these calculations, we will be required to return any unearned federal assistance, resulting in a debit or increase to the student account. Students will be notified by email of the Pending Unofficial Withdrawal review, providing they have a valid Purdue Fort Wayne email address. Otherwise, the student will receive notification via US mail.

Request for Academic Withdrawal
While there is no academic penalty associated with the W grade, there may be financial aid implications. Any student who received federal Title IV financial aid funding (e.g., Pell Grant, Direct Loans, or Perkins Loans) will have their eligibility recalculated in order to determine

  • the amount of financial aid the student is eligible to retain and
  • the amount of unearned financial aid that must be returned to the US Department of Education.

In addition, the calculation will be based on the student’s actual separation date and not necessarily the date the student dropped or resigned all of their courses.

Determining the amount of unearned aid to be returned

The calculated percentage of the semester completed becomes the percentage of the Title IV aid that the student has earned. The total Title IV aid disbursed to the student, or that could have been disbursed to the student (i.e., disbursable aid) minus the amount of Title IV aid earned by the student yields the amount of Title IV loan and grant aid that is unearned and that must be returned (688.22(e)).

Total Title IV disbursable aid − Title IV aid earned = Title IV loan and grant to be returned

Postwithdrawal Disbursement
A postwithdrawal disbursement of Federal Title IV aid occurs when the amount of Title IV aid earned by the student is greater than the amount of the Title IV aid disbursed for the semester. A student eligible for a postwithdrawal disbursement will receive written notification from the university. Purdue Fort Wayne must make the disbursement as soon as possible but no later than 45 days after the date of the school’s determination that the student withdrew. Students have the right to accept or decline, some or all, of the postwithdrawal disbursement that is being offered. Students are given 14 days from the date of the notification to respond. Students are encouraged to seriously consider whether it is beneficial to accept a postwithdrawal disbursement. If the Title IV disbursement is the result of a Federal Direct Loan or Perkins Loan, it must be repaid under the terms of the appropriate promissory note being completed or previously completed. In addition, any disbursement received from Title IV funds will reduce award eligibility for the corresponding award(s) at Purdue Fort Wayne, or another college attended during the same award year. Any opportunity to keep loan debt at a minimum should be considered.

Distribution of R2T4 Financial Aid Refund
Refunds returned to the US Department of Education on behalf of the student are distributed among the financial aid programs in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans
  2. Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loans
  4. Direct Parent Loan for undergraduate students
  5. Federal Pell Grant
  6. Academic Competitiveness Grant
  7. National SMART Grant
  8. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  9. Federal Graduate PLUS Loans for graduate or professional students

Students will receive written notification indicating the type and amount of aid returned to the US Department of Education.

Please note that if the unearned institutional costs are lower than the unearned financial aid, then the student must return the difference. If the amount(s) to be returned by the student is a loan, no immediate action is required and the loan servicer will contact the student regarding repayment in accordance to the terms and conditions outlined in the promissory note. If the school is required to return any unearned aid, Purdue Fort Wayne will reduce or cancel the award(s), debit the student’s account, and return the unearned portion of aid to the US Department of Education. This adjustment may result in a balance due Purdue Fort Wayne. The student will become responsible for the unearned portion of aid that was charged back to the student account. Students will receive notification of this action via letter from Purdue Fort Wayne in addition to an updated statement of account. This is a federal statutory and regulatory requirement and enforced accordingly. Furthermore, if the student account remains unpaid, Purdue Fort Wayne will send delinquent accounts to a collection agency. Unpaid bills that reach this stage may negatively affect a student’s credit rating, and may be subject to additional fees or service charges under state finance law.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state, and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.

Your financial aid depends on the number of credit hours you enroll in and attend. If you change the number of credit hours you are enrolled in, it may affect your aid. We recommend contacting our Office of Financial Aid before you change your enrollment.

Professors will report your attendance to the Office of the Registrar. If you stop attending a class without officially withdrawing, your enrollment hours will be reduced. If you fall below 6 credit hours, the Office of Financial Aid may return your financial aid, and you will owe a balance to Purdue Fort Wayne. Your lender may also notify you that you must start paying back your loans.

Do not make the mistake of believing that if you don’t attend a class you will not have to pay for the class. This is not the case. Once you register for a class, you must complete an official withdrawal through goPFW or at the Office of the Registrar, or you will be charged for that class.

If you paid for a class using Perkins or Stafford Loan funds, you will still have to pay that loan back.

Your attendance may affect your satisfactory academic progress. If you withdraw from a class or stop attending a class, it will affect your course-completion rate. If you do this often enough, you will not complete the minimum requirements for the 67 percent rule and/or the GPA rule, and you will lose your eligibility to receive federal and state financial aid until you successfully appeal the suspension.

As defined by our Office of the Registrar, an auditor is a student who enrolls in a course, attends class, and pays full fees, but does not receive a grade or credit for the course. We are providing the following information to help understand the impact an audit will have on financial aid eligibility.

Even though you will not receive a grade for an audited class at the end of the enrollment period, you will still be expected to continue to attend the class and have the opportunity to learn the information. If you who have no intention of continuing a class, you should withdraw from that class. If the intent is to finish the class to gain information and then retake the class the next semester (as most students do), then you would want to audit the class.

For financial aid purposes, an audited class will follow the same policies as classes that are being processed as a withdrawal. Thus, changing all graded classes to an audit status will cause financial aid awards to be recalculated based on the same policies and procedures as withdrawing from all classes. An audited class will also affect satisfactory academic progress.

Note: There can be a loss of financial aid in changing a graded class to audit during the tuition- and fee-refund period. If you are an undergraduate and your total graded enrolled credit hours drop below full-time (at least 12) during the refund period, then 100 percent of the state grant (Frank O’Bannon Higher Education Award or 21st Century Scholars) awards will be canceled. You would then be responsible for payment of the amount due on tuition and fees, as the paid-out funds will have been pulled back.

For a course that is registered for as an audit (NC) at the beginning of an enrollment period, the credit hours will not be included as credit hours enrolled in determining eligibility for financial aid—federal or state—funding. If the enrollment status is full-time at 12 credit hours and 6 credit hours are being audited, the funding will be based on eligibility as a half-time student and not full time.

Continue reading the following policies for withdrawing and/or auditing to understand how this decision may affect financial aid funding now and in the future.

Are you considering withdrawing from one or more classes but staying enrolled in at least one class?
If your circumstances change during the semester and you need to withdraw from some or of your classes, your financial aid will be impacted.

How long into the semester you drop classes will affect what happens to your financial aid funds:

  • If you withdraw during the 100 percent refund period, the amount of your Pell Grant will be reduced. You may lose your eligibility for the Pell Grant and it will be removed entirely. If your Pell Grant already paid out, you will have to repay that money to Purdue Fort Wayne.
  • If you drop below 12 credit hours before the fifth week of classes, you will lose your Indiana state-aid programs. This includes both Frank O’Bannon Higher Education Award and 21st Century Scholar funds. The funds will be returned to the state and you will have to pay that money back to Purdue Fort Wayne.
  • If you drop below 6 credit hours, the grace clock for your loans begins to tick. On Stafford Loans, if you not enrolled at least half-time within 180 days the loans will go into repayment and you will be notified to do an exit interview. For Perkins Loans, if you are not enrolled at least half-time within 270 days the loans go into repayment and you will be notified to do an exit interview. Additional information on Stafford and Perkins Loans is available in our loan section.
  • If you withdraw from one or more of your classes during the refund period, refunds will issued for withdrawing from a class.
  • If you change a class from pass/fail to audit, you will not receive a refund.
  • If reenrollment occurs in less than 180 days, your grace clock will be reset to zero and deferment will be reestablished.
  • If you withdraw from all classes or audit all classes, a Return of Title IV Funds calculation will be completed.

Are you thinking of withdrawing from or auditing all of your classes?
If yes, the following information provides a general overview of the withdrawal process as it relates to financial aid.

Please read the following closely before you act so that you understand the consequences of your action.

It is strongly recommended that you contact our Office of Financial Aid and your academic advisor to find out the consequences and your options before you withdraw from one or more classes. You must also complete an official withdrawal through goPFW or [email protected].

While we understand that there may be extenuating circumstances leading to your withdrawal from the university, there are no circumstances that allow the Office of Financial Aid to exempt any student from the Return of Title IV Funds process.

If, after reading this, you have additional questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Policy for Full Withdrawal
Once classes begin and financial aid has been applied to your account, you must complete more than 60 percent of the semester or you may be required to repay all or part of the financial aid disbursed to you for the semester.

After the Office of the Registrar has processed your withdrawal form, your academic record will be updated and the Office of Financial Aid will complete a Return of Title IV Funds calculation. You will be charged up to the date of your official withdrawal.

Earned vs. Unearned Financial Aid
Your financial aid awards pay out for the entire semester. For the period of time before you withdrew or stopped attending, you earned the aid that paid out.

For the period of time after you withdrew or stopped attending, the aid that paid for the rest of the semester is considered unearned.

Once the Return of Title IV Funds calculation has been completed, the Office of Financial Aid will determine how much of your financial aid awards that you earned. Any unearned aid will be returned to the program it came from.

If you withdraw from all courses or audit all of your semester courses

  • all or part of your financial aid may be reduced or canceled;
  • you may have a balance due on your account because your financial aid award will require adjustment;
  • a hold will be placed on your academic records until you repay the amount owed to Purdue Fort Wayne as a result of your withdrawal;
  • you will not be able to register for subsequent semesters at Purdue Fort Wayne or get a copy of your academic transcript;
  • if your account is not paid, it will be sent to a collection agency and reported on your credit history;
  • you may not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for continued financial aid eligibility, so future aid eligibility may be jeopardized;
  • you may have to begin repaying your student loans if you remain out of school longer than six months; and
  • repeated withdrawals may cause you to reach loan aggregate limits more quickly and result in your ineligibility to borrow in future years.

If you stop attending their classes during the semester without completing an official withdrawal, you will receive a W, an F, or an I. If you have all W, F, or I grades at the end of the semester, the Office of Financial Aid office will use information from instructors to determine you last date of attendance.

If it’s found that you stopped attending, a Return of Title IV Funds calculation will be completed using federal guidelines and information from professors to set the withdrawal date, and any aid that you didn’t earn will be returned.

The following are changes to federal regulations governing federal student aid programs. These may have an impact on your federal student aid when you repeat coursework:

  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course for the first time, whatever the outcome of the prior attempt.
  • Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing or a failing grade, they are no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
  • The federal regulation change applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

The following actions will occur following the add/drop period of each term:

  • If a student is registered for a course that is not aid eligible, a recalculation of aid will be done to exclude the credits for the repeated course.
  • Not all aid will require adjustment. Students may see the adjustment on their aid offers by viewing awards in goPFW.
  • Adjustments to financial aid and notification of such will occur at the point of disbursement. This may result in the student repaying part of their federal aid. Students will receive notification if they are aid applicants and attempt to repeat coursework beyond the limits.

Repeat coursework and satisfactory academic progress:

  • If a student repeats a course, the hours from the first attempt and any subsequent attempts will be considered in the course-completion calculation.
  • Only the most recent grade earned in a repeated course will be incorporated into the GPA calculation.


Find the forms you need.

Need to complete a financial aid form? You’ll find what you need here. Be sure to select the appropriate year.

Processing times for forms may vary and can take up to a month. We do not accept digital signatures at this time. You will need to physically sign the form and follow the instructions for submission, which could include one of the following:

  • Submitting documents in person to our office (Kettler Hall, Room 102)
  • Faxing items to 260-481-4159
  • Mailing information:
    PFW Financial Aid
    Kettler Hall, Room 102
    2101 East Coliseum Boulevard
    Fort Wayne, IN 46805

Financial Aid Verification 

All about the verification process.

Don’t fret if you’ve been selected for verification, but note that your financial aid will not disperse until you have completed the verification process. Find all the info you need here.

The federal and state government randomly selects at least one-third of all college students for financial aid verification. You can also select yourself for verification to confirm that the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is identical to your information reported to the Internal Revenue Service.

The verification process is different for dependent and independent students. Typically, if you are a dependent student, you will answer no to the following questions:

  • Are you 24 years or older?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you have any children (include any child that you take care of at least 50 percent)?
  • Are you a veteran?

Make sure that you’re filling out the right verification forms—find out if you’re classified as a dependent or independent student. Being a dependent or independent student isn’t related to how you filed your taxes, whether you live with your parents, or whether you support yourself. In general, an independent student is someone who meets the following criteria:

  • Born before January 1, 1999
  • Married or has children who receive more than half support from them, which continues from now through June 30, 2023

If you don’t meet those specifications, you’re classified as a dependent student. As a dependent, you’re required to have your parents’ information on your FAFSA and on the associated verification forms. You can find verification forms for both dependent and independent students below.

If you’re still unsure or have a special case, you can determine your status by contacting our office at 260-481-6820.

Dependent students must supply documentation to verify that the information reported for the student and parents to the IRS was the same as the information reported on the FAFSA.

Students can be selected for one of four different verification processes. This information can be found in goPFW under Financial Aid Awards. The student can then view his or her unsatisfied and satisfied Financial Aid Requirements. Each verification process has its own form that must be completed and signed.

Note: If the student and/or parent(s) did not earn any income, then this information should be listed on the form along with where any support came from.

If the student and/or parent(s) filed an amendment, the Office of Financial Aid will need a signed copy of the 1040X that was filed to amend the original tax filing, along with a tax return transcript.

Independent students must supply documentation to verify that the information reported for the student to the IRS was the same as the information reported on the FAFSA.

Students can be selected for one of four different verification processes. This information can be found in goPFW under Financial Aid Awards. The student can then view his or her unsatisfied and satisfied Financial Aid Requirements. Each verification process has its own form that must be completed and signed.

Note: If the student filed an amendment, the Office of Financial Aid will need a signed copy of the 1040X that was filed to amend the original tax filing, along with a tax return transcript and an account transcript.