Skip to main content
Default Hero Image

Posting Guidelines for Employers

Career development center

Know the policies and requirements.

Before you post your open positions (whether it be for a part-time or full-time job, an internship, or a co-op) to Handshake, there are a few guidelines to review.

To post your position to Handshake, you must have the following: 

  • An email address associated with your company or organization’s website domain
  • A functioning website (not just a social media platform) that is associated with your company or organization that provides clear and helpful information for potential applicants
  • An address that is easily identifiable as a place of business; personal-residence addresses are only allowed if the student would not be physically working from that location.

Note: Purdue Fort Wayne receives funds from the Job Location and Development Program, and because of this, the US Department of Education requires the university to report certain statistics on currently enrolled students who obtain work through the Career Development Center. To comply with federal regulations, you’ll need to complete a placement survey.

The following types of positions are not accepted postings on Handshake:

  • Campus marketing or canvasser or brand ambassador that involves door-to-door sales, in-home presentations, or any activity on campus that goes against university policy or endangers the student
  • Unpaid positions for any for-profit organizations
  • Application processes that ask students to use their social media profiles or require students to release information associated with their social media profiles (e.g., number of followers or friends)
  • In-home, private, or independent childcare, nanny, elder care, or tutoring positions
  • Any 1099 independent-contractor positions other than those for full-time degreed employment
  • Positions or programs that charge a fee for participation
  • Employment outside the United States posted by a third party
  • Any co-op or internship position in which the student would be conducting medical procedures

There are limited exceptions to these types of positions. Position posts may be denied for any additional reasons deemed appropriate by the Career Development Center.

All materials received from our students (letters, résumés, transcripts, etc.) should be shared only with those persons at your firm involved in the hiring process. Any information acquired from profiles and/or résumés may not be redisclosed to any other employer, third party, or other individuals within an organization except for employment purposes. For more information, visit the US Department of Education website to learn more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

We encourage all employers to provide a reasonable time frame for students to consider all job and internship opportunities and offers. We discourage any practice that improperly influences or pressures students to accept offers.

Getting permission for international students to work in the United States is not as difficult as many employers may think. Most international students are in the United States on nonimmigrant student visas (F-1 and J-1) and these international students are eligible to accept employment under certain conditions. International students can use curricular practical training (CPT) to complete internships related to their field of study. The only thing employers need to provide is a simple offer letter.

Optional practical training (OPT) allows international students to work for one year (STEM students can get up to three years) after graduation, without the employer having to apply for sponsorship for the student. There is no cost or additional paperwork needed from the employer. 

Practical training under the J-1 visa is called academic training. International students who enter the United States on a J-1 visa can work for either the length of their program (if they are here for only one or two semesters) or 18 months if they complete their bachelor’s or master’s degrees at the US university. Academic training is granted in the form of a letter by the responsible officer (RO) or alternate responsible officer (ARO).

For employers hiring international students on F-1 or J-1 status, there is minimal paperwork for the employer in order for the student to obtain work authorization. For CPT, employers need to complete the employer hiring agreement and provide an offer letter on company letterhead with the following information:

  • Job title of the student’s position
  • Dates of employment
  • Number of hours per week
  • Company address or address where duties will be performed
  • Name of supervisor
  • Description of job responsibilities
  • The Office of International Education has made a sample of a CPT offer letter available to employers.

We discourage serving alcohol to students during recruiting events. While it is not illegal to serve alcohol to students age 21 and older, it may put them in an uncomfortable position. Furthermore, please do not hold recruiting events in bars or clubs. These requests are in keeping with university policies and the policies of the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

Contact us

Have questions?


Contact the Career Development Center at [email protected] or 260-481-0689.

Kettler Hall, Room 109 
2101 East Coliseum Boulevard 
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46805