Prepare Yourself for Success
As a newly admitted student at Purdue Fort Wayne, you must follow the writing guided self-placement process and take the online math placement test before registering for courses. Academic advisors will use your placement-test results to help you plan your first-semester courses. If you are a transfer or nondegree student and have taken English composition and/or math courses at another college or university, check with your Purdue Fort Wayne or Indiana University Fort Wayne academic advising department about placement requirements. Information about your academic advising department is available through your goPFW account.
You can complete the Reading Accuplacer placement test twice in a two-year period if you do not have ACT or SAT scores. If you have received a letter grade for completion in a course, you are not eligible for placement testing. If you’re enrolled in a course that is in progress, you can retest only during the first week of semester classes. On a retest, scores will either be the same, higher, or lower. The most recent testing date will be used, and your writing guided self-placement may be completed as many times as necessary.
Schedule Your Test
The reading placement test is completed online through your goPFW account with your ACT and SAT scores. If you are still needing to schedule a reading placement test after completing the Guided Writing Placement and reading process, please call 260-481-6600. Here are our testing times:
- Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m., 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m.
Please keep in mind these important policies and things to consider before taking any placement test in the Testing Services Department:
- A photo ID is required in order to take all placement tests.
- Cell phones are not allowed at the testing stations (please make the appropriate arrangements for storing your cell phone).
- Placement testing times can be subject to change based on availability and/or test length.
- You should arrive 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment; if you arrive late you will be asked to reschedule.
- Testing-room temperatures may vary; it’s advisable to bring a sweater or jacket.
- Children are not allowed in the testing facilities; please make childcare arrangements before your exam.
- If you require test accommodations based on disability, contact the director of testing services at least seven business days before your scheduled test date; disability documentation may be required.
- Testing Services is unable to give placement or entrance exams for students who attend universities other than Purdue Fort Wayne.
Note: Testing Services is unable to give placement or entrance exams for students who attend universities other than Purdue University Fort Wayne and Indiana University Fort Wayne.