Credit Through Testing
Earn credit based on knowledge you’ve already acquired through exams or course experience. Students should contact their academic advisor regarding credit awarded and how it would fit within their academic program.
The Office of the Registrar processes College Board Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), and UExcel credit. Questions may be emailed to [email protected].
Cambridge International, Oxford International, Pearson Edexcel, AQA, and OCR AS/A-level Exams
If you complete Advanced Subsidiary (“AS”) or Advanced (“A”) levels you will be awarded credits based on department approval for select AS and A level subjects with a score of C or above.
College Board Advance Placement Program
You may be awarded credit if you take AP, CLEP, DSST, or UExcel exams and earn a high enough score on the official exams. View the list of exams to see what we accept, credit awarded, and minimum scores needed for credit.
College Level Examination Program
Earn credit based on knowledge you’ve already acquired through experience or independent study through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) standardized tests. Purdue Fort Wayne does not accept all CLEP exams. Purdue Fort Wayne Testing Services is a national testing center for CLEP. Learn more about registration, CLEP fees, and test dates.
DANTES Subject Standardized Tests
You may earn credit based on knowledge you already have through the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST). Minimum score requirements will apply.
If you take courses through the International Baccalaureate (“IB”) Program, credits will be awarded based on department approval for select Standard level (“SL”) and Higher Level (“HL”) subjects with a score of 5 or above.
Complete proficiency exams through the UExcel Program offered by Excelsior College and receive credit. Minimum grade requirements will apply.
PFW Course Credit by Department Exam
Some departments at PFW allow Course Credit by Department Exam for select courses they offer. Specifically, you can complete exams and earn credit for:
BIOL 20300, BIOL 20400
CHM 11100, CHM 11500, CHM 11600
Contact Testing Services for additional information regarding each Department Exam.
Important Information to Consider:
- You may request an examination for credit in a course if the course is available for credit by examination and if no grade in the course other than a grade of W or NC has been awarded.
- Before taking a PFW Course Credit by Department Exam, check with your Academic Advisor to verify the credit can be used toward your degree completion. If it will, then check with the Financial Aid Office to determine how the use of the course may affect financial aid availability and/or changes in awarded funds.
- Each course has a set fee for the PFW Course Credit by Department Exam that is paid to the Testing Center in advance of the exam.
- Some courses require one exam while others include multiple exams. All sections of the test must be completed with a passing score of 70% in order to earn course credit.
- Each course exam can be taken one time, unless specifically allowed by a department. If you do not pass and you still want to earn credit, you will need to register and complete the course as offered in the Schedule of Classes.
- It is possible that some institutions may not accept PFW Course Credit by Department Exam as transfer credits.
- Students planning to apply to professional schools, including medical schools, should be aware that some schools may require a grade shown on their transcript for specific courses, for example BIOL or CHM. If a grade is required, a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory PFW Course Credit by Department Exam will not be sufficient.