Office of International Education

Explanation of Types of Programs

There are many different types of programs.  This should help you as you search.

Faculty Led Programs through IPFW Division of Continuing Studies

– 4 days to 4 weeks.  A professor leads the program and teaches one course.  1- 6 Credits  

Check the IPFW tab for Faculty-Led programs in Sociology, Anthropology, HTM, Biology, Art, and Creative Writing or Theater

Check the IU/Purdue/Other tab for more information on IU and Purdue Faculty-Led Programs.

Ideal for students who:

  • prefer on-site support from a program leader
  • have never traveled abroad 
  • feel more secure being with a group of IPFW students
  • can only go on a short term program or need a specific class
  • have IPFW aid they woudl like to use on a program

IPFW, IU, or Purdue (Minessota, University of Florida, etc) Administered Programs -These programs are designed and administered by the university

Ideal for students who: 

  • prefer on-site support from a program leader staffed by IU or Purdue
  • have never traveled abroad 
  • feel more secure being with a group of students from Indiana
  • need credits to transfer quickly or specific classes for their degree requirements
  • have state-aid they would like to use on a program

Co-sponsored or Independent Programs

programs organized by agencies specializing in international education. Students accepted by these programs, pay the program fees directly to the co-sponsor and a study abroad fee to the bursar. Financial aid can be applied to these program costs, and credits and grades are directly transferred to the students' IPFW transcripts. Co-sponsored programs are available for the summer, semester or academic year.
  AIFS, API, Arcadia, IFSA Butler, ISA, IES, SFS, Semester at Sea,CEA CIS, CIEE, SIT, DIS, University of Minnesota, SOL Education Abroad
  • Cost: comprehensive program fee: tuition, housing, meals, international health insurance, and a few excursions.
  • Assistance: usually have an office, a resident director and a staff that offer a high level of support and assistance to students.
  • Living: residence halls, apartments or private homes with local families.
  • Classes: Many co-sponsored programs are organized specifically for Americans and other international students. However, participants may sometimes take one or more courses at the overseas university affiliated with the program.
  • Registration: Often developed especially for program participants. Classes taught in English or language for acquisition programs.
Ideal for students who:
  • prefer a program designed specifically for U.S. students
  • want a lot of on-site support
  • prefer to travel with organized excursions
  • want a specialized or themed program such as "European Film Studies or Vietnamese Language and Culture"
  • need specific courses taught for Americans such as Organic Chemistry II. 

Exchange Programs are based on agreements between IPFW and other institutions (via ISEP or Anyang, SWU, University of Miyazaki) to send and receive an equal amount of exchange students on a home campus.

  • Cost: IPFW tuition, housing, and meals (so scholarships easily apply) + airfare, insurance, program fee, and personal expenses.
  • Assistance: supportive international office staff but independent student at university
  • Living: often residence halls or university-owned apartments. Some home-stay options.
  • Classes: local and international students
  • Registration: broadest selection of courses for those who need a variety of credits, but it is possible that you will not be able to take exactly what you had anticipated.
Ideal for students who:
  • prefer to pay Purdue , IU, IPFW  tuition and fees for their program
  • yearn for independence
  • want to be fully integrated into the local culture
  • want to plan their own semester activities and excursions
  • desire a broad selection of courses
Direct Enroll Programs - similar to Exchange Programs in duration, independence and academics, but may cost more because there is no agreement between universities.  Similar to transferring for the semester (more independent), yet may be more difficult to transfer credit and financial aid.

Internships, Research, or Volunteer Abroad - A combination of academics and work/life experience