Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. A professor in our department has an agreement with one of the high schools to allow the students to work on their science projects in one of our department labs. The students are not receiving any dual credit for the project. Is this considered a program that would be subject to these procedures?

Yes, the professor needs to register this activity as a program involving minors. Any University faculty members, staff and students supervising or assisting the high school students would be considered program staff

Q2. Our department coordinates with some of the elementary schools to provide after-school programming. Faculty members and students have a rotating schedule to go to the school for an hour or two in the afternoon and work with the kids. Would this activity be covered by these procedures?

No. If the elementary school is facilitating the program, and the University's faculty and students are serving as volunteers at the school, it would be subject to the elementary school's policies and procedures.

Q3. As part of our program, we have invited a local expert to give a presentation. Does that individual need to have a background check and go through the training?

If the individual is only functioning as a presenter and will not be interacting with or overseeing children without someone from the program staff or the child's parent present, they would not be considered part of the program staff and would not be required to undergo a background check and training. If the individual will be providing instruction to or interacting with minors on their own, they would be considered a member of the program staff, subject to all requirements of the procedures.

Q4. One of our coaches is having a summer day camp. Since the coach is an employee of the University, are they required to follow the procedures?

Yes. The coach in this example would essentially become a third-party sponsor subject to all the requirements of the procedures.

Q5. My office has been working with an outside entity who will be hosting a program on campus that involves minors. I have concerns that the program director may not have followed the procedures. What should I do?

You may contact the PARCK committee on the Fort Wayne campus at [email protected] or 260-481-5493  for verification as to whether or not the registration form has been completed for the program

Q6. A third party from Indianapolis is going to work with one of our recognized student organizations to facilitate a program for minors on campus. Since a student organization is one of the sponsors, does the program need to be registered?

Yes.  If an RSO is co-sponsoring an event with a University sponsor or a third-party sponsor, the procedures apply.

Q7. Why are programs sponsored by a recognized student organization (RSO) excluded?

After much consideration and benchmarking with peer universities, the decision was made to exclude them from the registration process. Instead, efforts to incorporate youth safety and mandatory reporting training into the other orientation and annual training that is provided to RSOs are being made

Q8. Does our program staff have to do the online training that is listed in the procedures or can we have them go through different training?

Program sponsors can provide training to their program staff in a manner that is most effective for them. The two options for online training listed in the procedures are merely options. As long as the training covers youth safety and Indiana's mandatory reporting requirements for suspected child abuse, it can be delivered however the sponsor chooses.

Q9. Is the training available in languages other than English?

The training options listed in the procedures are currently only available in English. If a department, as a sponsor of an event, has a number of program staff who speak another language, the department may provide its own training on youth safety and mandatory reporting in other languages

Q10. The campus testing center offers SAT and LSAT tests to high school students. Is this considered a program involving minors?

No. Offerings of testing centers are excluded from the procedures

Q11. Where is the online registration form?

Click this link to the FORM

Q12. Over the course of a semester, our department puts on several programs that are all part of one initiative. Do we need to register it as one program or each as an individual program?

Consider how the programs will be staffed and how your records are maintained. If the same or similar program staff will manage all of the events and you will be maintaining your relevant records in one place that would be easy to produce if asked, it may make sense to register the events as one program. If there will be different staff handling each event and multiple participant lists, waivers and permission forms, it would be better to register each event individually

Q13. Our department offers the same program every semester. Can we just fill out the registration form once and be done?

No. The registration form requires a start date and end date for the program. For programs that are held at regular intervals with the same program staff, you may complete the registration form once for a given period of time, but at minimum, it should be filled out annually

Q14. My department is allowing a third party to use some of our space for a program involving minors. My department is not a sponsor of the event, merely contracting for the use of our space. Should the sponsor complete the registration form or does my department need to fill it out?

The sponsor is required to complete the procedures, including the online registration form. As the manager of the space, you are required to inform the third party of its obligation to complete the procedures.

Q15. Who should I contact if I'm not sure whether an event is a program that needs to be registered under the procedures?

You may direct your questions to [email protected]or[email protected]

Q16. Another department of the University is sponsoring a program for minors and asked to use one of my department's rooms for the event. We don't usually require a contract for this; do the procedures make a contract necessary?

No. All departments of the University are subject to the procedures, so a contract would not be needed to enforce this.

Q17. What happens to the forms after I fill them out?

All submitted documentation will be stored within the Ideal-Logic software in the Youth Protection offices.

Q.18 What if I add somebody to staff the event after I complete the paperwork?

You will need to submit updated paperwork including the new staff person.

Q.19 What if the company we are working with refuses to provide the COI?

Contact the PARCK committee immediately: [email protected]

Q. 20 What if I don't do this?

University Regulations clearly delineate the requirements by Purdue University personnel to complete the Program with Minors and Certificate of Liability requirements. Failure to meet these requirements may result in an Administrative Review and appropriate administrative action. Additionally, disregard of the stated Purdue requirements may shift any resulting liability from the University to the event organizer.

Q.21 Who can I contact with questions?

 [email protected]or[email protected]

Q.22 If there is an incident, what happens next?

University Police would begin an investigation into the incident. Paperwork you submitted for the event would be used as part of the investigation.

Q.23 How do I know if the paperwork for my event was completed by someone?

You may direct your questions to [email protected] or [email protected]

Q.24 How do I know if you received my completed paperwork?

You may direct your questions to [email protected] or [email protected]

Q.25 Who is supposed to do this?

The Program Director is responsible for completing the Program with Minors and/or Certificate of Insurance process where applicable (Link to Program Director definition page)

Q.26 Is University Police involved in this process?

Special Events and the Registrar send event listings, for the next 30 days, every week to UPD. In addition, UPD can view the live Special Event calendar here
If an issue were to occur, UPD will notify us of any issues and Special Events and/or the Registrar will support their investigation with our Program with Minor or Certificate of Insurance paperwork as needed/as applicable.

Q 27. What is a certificate of insurance?

A certificate of insurance (COI) is issued by an insurance company or broker. The COI verifies the existence of an insurance policy and summarizes the key aspects and conditions of the policy. For example, a standard COI lists the policyholder's name, policy effective date, the type of coverage, policy limits, and other important details of the policy

Q 28. What is the point of a certificate of insurance?

A certificate of insurance is a document used to provide information on specific insurance coverage. The certificate provides verification of the insurance and usually contains information on types and limits of coverage, insurance company, policy number, named insured, and the policies' effective periods.

Q 29. What is the Difference between Certificate Holder and Additional Insured? 

Certificate Holder is simply proof of insurance, where an Additional Insured status gives the University coverage and rights under the policy external parties using space on campus.

Q 30. What do I do with the Certificate of Insurance after I get it? 

Keep a copy for yourself and if you are working with the Special Events Department, forward a copy to your Event Coordinator. All other COI’s should be sent to Lisa Zerkle ([email protected]) for review by the PARCK Committee.

Q 31. How far in advance should I apply for the insurance?

Generally, 2-4 weeks before the event. You want to apply close enough so your plans are firm (i.e. you know what you're going to do and you're not canceling) but far enough in advance so there's time to secure coverage in case there are problems.

Q 32. If I can’t get insurance for my on-campus event, can I hold the event anyway?

No, the event would not be allowed to proceed.

Q 33. What if we're having a series of related events during the month/semester/year?

If you are holding a series of meetings or lectures or other types of events, you can get one Certificate of Insurance to cover all the dates. Discuss this with your insurance agent. 

Q 34. What if I am co-sponsoring an event on campus for an external person or organization?

The outside organization will need to provide the University with verified insurance coverage prior to the event listing Purdue University Fort Wayne and the Trustees of Purdue as additional insureds.

Q 35.  What do I do if someone makes an accusation of abuse against a minor?

If an emergent or immediate situation, call 911.  If a report about a past event or non-emergent situation, call University Police at 260-481-6827.