Big Brothers Big Sisters
Type: Special Interest
See how Big Brothers Big Sisters of Purdue Fort Wayne works to create new relationships and to provide support for mentors and children within the Fort Wayne community.
Purpose and Goals
- Further the Big Brothers Big Sisters mission to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with measurable impact
- Deepen relationships between members of the organization by creating a community of accountability and encouragement between people who are passionate about children
- Organize events for "Bigs" (mentors) and "Littles" (mentees)
- Develop leadership skills of college students through active involvement in the community
- Educate the campus community about how quality mentoring benefits those mentoring, those being mentored, and the community as a whole
Membership Requirements and Obligations
Section I: Qualifications
- Fifty-one percent of the total membership must be currently enrolled students at Purdue Fort Wayne and only those members may vote, hold office, and represent the organization or university in an official capacity.
- The minimum membership requirement is eight members.
- Membership and participation shall be free from discrimination and harassment per the policies of the Purdue Fort Wayne Code of Student Rights. Responsibilities, and Conduct as stated in Part I, Section A, Items 3 and 4.
Section II: Types of Membership
- Voting membership shall be open to all students currently enrolled in at least 12 credit hours at Purdue Fort Wayne.
- Nonvoting memberships may be held by students enrolled in less than 12 credit hours, faculty, staff, alumni, non–Purdue Fort Wayne students, or community members.
- Voting and nonvoting membership requires adherence to the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Purdue University Fort Wayne attendance policy, as addressed in Article V, Section III.
Section III: Financial Obligation
- No annual dues will be required from members.
- All members must commit to participate in at least one fundraising event per year.