Mastodon Mentors will strive to build unwavering connections between current students and members of our Mastodon Alumni Community. We hope that this program allows for students, alumni, and friends of the university to build beneficial relationships that are rooted in Mastodon pride.
Mastodon Mentors will allow for students to gain insights into life after college as well as advice from someone who is familiar with the Purdue Fort Wayne student experience.
Mastodon Mentors will allow for alumni and friends of the university to serve as resources to current students, to feel a sense of connection to their alma mater, and to be a part of the success of the current Herd.
Connecting current students with alumni/friends of the university that share similar career and postgraduate interests to establish a mentoring relationship that will explore professional and personal development for the mentee and mentor.
How to Become a Mentee or Mentor
- Students, alumni, and friends of the university can apply throughout the spring/summer for the following academic year.
- The Office of Student Life and Leadership and the Office of Development and Alumni Relations will work to match mentees with mentors that have identities in common (e.g., major, career and industry goals, interests, hobbies, student organization affiliation) and share contact information with both parties.
- Mentors (alumni) will initiate contact with mentees to develop a relationship with reciprocal communication.
Mastodon Mentors Expectations
- Mentors and mentees will have a robust conversation at least once a month.
- This can be through email, phone, video call, or in person. There is no maximum limit to how often you keep in touch.
- Mentors and mentees will attend at least one Mastodon Mentors Mingle per semester.
- Mastodon Mentors Mingle are social events with opportunities for students and alumni to meet other students and alumni in the mentor program, to network, and to build new connections.
- There will be at least three Mastodon Mentors Mingles offered each semester.
Interested students may contact Alex Backer, director of student leadership, at [email protected] or 260-481-6598.
Interested alumni may contact Emily Venderley, director of alumni relations, at [email protected] or 260-481-6322.