How to Hire a Student
Here are the steps you need to take to hire a student worker:
- Fill out the Federal Work Study Need Assessment and the Federal Work Study Off- Campus Contract. Email these documents to the Office of Career Services at email@example.com. These documents will be reviewed to see if your organization meets the requirements for the Federal Work-Study Program.
- Career Services will contact you and inform you if your organization is approved for funding under the Federal Work-Study Program as either a 70/30 percent off-campus position, a 70/30 percent off-campus community service position, or a 100 percent federal work-study Reading Tutoring/Family Literacy Program (preschool through fifth grade). Please note that we will also have to review and approve the actual job description.
- Create a job posting on Handshake. Make sure that you label the type of job as work-study.
- Once the job description is approved, the job will be live on Handshake and will be included in a weekly job blast to all Purdue Fort Wayne students on the first Tuesday after the posting is submitted. Students will then have the opportunity to search and apply for your position.
- Review student résumés and decide on which students you would like to interview. Please make sure that the applicant is work-study eligible by contacting Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org). We also encourage you to ask if the student currently works for another department.
- Interview selected students. Use some of these sample interview questions so that you know what you can and can’t ask in an interview.
- Make the job offer. Review the Purdue Fort Wayne student pay scale for guidance on what hourly rate to offer. You must also fill out a short survey.
- Once you have made an employment offer, complete the Federal Work Study Authorization Form. Purdue Fort Wayne will complete the Personnel Action Form and then you will need to have your new employee complete new-hire-employment paperwork. Please note that you will receive billing for the 30 percent of the term award plus 100 percent of all wages after the award is exhausted from Accounting Services.
- Lastly, review the responsibilities of the employer and encourage your new student worker to register for the Student Employment Training Program.
For more more information, contact Human Resources at 260-481-6840 or email@example.com.
Also, check out beginning and ending dates that a student is able to work.