Special Events

Special Events - FAQ

It is our goal in the Special Events Department to provide great customer service for all visitors, planners, and guests. Below are some frequently asked questions to help you address some of the early issues that come up in planning your event. 

If you can’t find your question below please feel free to contact us at 260-481-6612 and we will be happy to help.  

I am not ready to book an event but I would like more information.

You can submit a request for venue information by using this online form here.  

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

How do I book an event?

To book any of the Special Event Venues visit the Online Scheduling Form and submit a request.

You will receive an email summary of your request to keep for you records.  Additionally, you will be contacted with a confirmation from your event coordinator. If you have any questions about your event or venue, please contact your event coordinator via email or the Special Events office at 260-481-6612.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

How can I check to see if my date is available?

You can visit the Online Event Scheduling Calendar to view the availability for all of the Special Event Venues.

To browse the calendar, log in to the online scheduling system at the above link and select "Booking Calendar" link from the second light blue box on the first reservation page. This new system schedules in "real time."  If the room you want is not available on the date and time you have entered, please try again by changing your time frame, room, or date. 

If you have any questions about trying to read the calendar call 260-481-6612 and the Special Events staff will be happy to assist you.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

Does Special Events or ITS deliver A/V equipment or technology to classrooms and/or Conference Rooms?

No.  Due to reductions in staffing that were put into place last summer the Special Events Department is no longer able to support deliveries to classrooms, or Conference Rooms.  Most if not all of the classrooms on campus have built in technology. 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

How do I request A/V equipment for a Special Event venue? 

To book A/V equipment in any of the Special Event Venues visit the A/V Technology Request Form to submit a request.   

You will receive a receipt from the Online Form. Your event request will be processed by the Technology Staff, if your event does not meet the criteria you will be notified as soon as possible so that you can make other arrangements. We may not be able to accommodate requests made within 5 Business Days. 

We no longer checkout laptops.  If you want a laptop those can be checked out from the Helmke Library by visiting this link : http://library.pfw.edu/about/policies/laptop-loan-guidelines-and-procedures.html

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

How do I know what technology is in a particular classroom?

Call the ITS Helpdesk at 260-481-6030 or contact them via email at helpdesk@pfw.edu 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

How do I know what technology or A/V equipment is in a special event venue?  

Call the Special Events Tech Services team at 260-481-0284 or via email at se_tech_scheduling@pfw.edu

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

When do I pay for my event? 

All rentals at Purdue Fort Wayne require a deposit that is 50% of the estimated venue rental.  The deposit is due upon receipt of the event contract from your event coordinator.  

The balance of the venue rental and all equipment charges/facility fees are due a minimum of 3 business days prior to your event date. Purdue Fort Wayne has the right to cancel your event if the rental balance has not been paid prior to your scheduled event date.  

Payment options:

  • Check made payable to Purdue Fort Wayne and returned with your contract
  • Online: http://www.pfw.edu/offices/special-events/event-payments/ with a VISA, MasterCard, and Discover
  • For assistance with cash payments, please contact your event coordinator who will make secure arrangements for your transaction 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Can I use any caterer?

For events at Purdue Fort Wayne that involve food but are not serving alcohol, you may use any licensed caterer of your choosing. All caterers should be ready to present their most recent health inspection.  Visit REM Food Service and Safety website for more information on safety regulations. Home-made items cannot be served at Events on Campus. The Special Events Office must be notified in advance if you intend to utilize a caterer and/or the catering areas.  

For Events at Purdue Fort Wayne that are serving alcohol, you must use an approved campus vendor.  Please visit the Purdue Fort Wayne Catering Policy for a list of approved vendors and there contact information. 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Is there a caterer fee/percentage taken?

There is no additional charge or fee billed to any caterer.  However, there may be a charge to the event sponsor for the use of prep or catering facilities.  

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

How much will parking cost for my guests?

There is plenty of free parking available in the adjacent parking garages and lots to many of our event venues.  There are three types of parking at Purdue Fort Wayne:

  • Faculty/Staff Parking
  • Meter Parking
  • Open Parking

Parking in marked handicap spaces is always and strictly enforced.  Permit parking is typically enforced Monday-Friday from 7 am-5:00 pm and is for Faculty and Staff on campus who have purchased a parking permit.  These spots are marked by green painted parking lines.  The current fine for parking in a permit spot without a permit is $ 25.00.  There are also plenty of open parking spots on campus that don’t require a parking pass and are typically marked with white spots.

If you have concerns about parking for your event feel free to discuss that with your event coordinator.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

What forms of public transportation are available?

The Citilink bus system runs many routes throughout the day across Fort Wayne.

Click here to visit the Citilink Bus System website. http://www.fwcitilink.com/

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

What's the address?

The mailing address for the Purdue Fort Wayne Special Events Department is

Purdue University Fort Wayne
Special Events, WU 110
2101 E. Coliseum Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805 

Individual venues and buildings on campus don’t have specific addresses but there are great way finding and directional signs on campus that can point you to any venue.  You can also find campus maps and driving directions here.  http://www.pfw.edu/about/maps-directions/driving-directions.html 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

What if I need to cancel my event?

Contact your event coordinator right away.  Each of the different Special Event Venues have different cancellation policies and time frames and your event coordinator will be happy to help guide you through this process.

You can view the Cancellation Polices by venue on the Special Events Website.  Written notice will be required as proof of your cancellation.  

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Can I get in the night before to setup and decorate the room?

All decorations and equipment must be delivered and set up on the same day as the event and removed at the conclusion of the event unless other arrangements are pre-made with the Purdue Fort Wayne Special Events office. Purdue Fort Wayne reserves the right to bill the sponsoring party for removal of any left items. Please inform your vendors that all pick-ups and deliveries of goods must be coordinated through the Purdue Fort Wayne Special Events Office to ensure vendor access to building and/or rental space.   

Renter is responsible for providing decorating details for your event to your event coordinator no later than five (5) business days prior to your event.  For more information on decorations please visit the Use Policy section of the website and select the appropriate venue tab.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Does Special Events have carts for use to unload equipment? 

Special Events has a limited number of carts available for use.  If you think you might need a cart for your event you are advised to talk with your event coordinator about this in advance. 

Do I need to get any special insurance? 

As RENTER of a UNIVERSITY space for an event, you are required to provide a $1,000,000 Liability Insurance Policy naming Purdue University Fort Wayne as Additionally Insured.

Your personal Homeowner’s Insurance may offer coverage. It is your responsibility to contact them with the following requirements:

  • Certificate of Insurance shall be a minimum of $1,000,000 liability coverage. 

Certificate Holder shall be:

Purdue University Fort Wayne
2101 E. Coliseum Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805 

  • Additional Insured Endorsement naming Purdue University Fort Wayne as additional insured.
    • Please include the location and date of event on the certificate.

An Additional Insured Endorsement is generally a separate page attached to the certificate that states, “This endorsement changes the policy.” Your insurance carrier may charge an additional fee for the Additional Insured Endorsement. 

The Additional Insured Endorsement should include the following language: 

In consideration of their use of university premises, (RENTER) agrees to hold harmless the Trustees of Purdue University, Purdue University, and each of their respective officers, appointees, agents and employees, from and against any loss, costs, damages, and expenses including attorney’s fees, arising out of or resulting from claims or suits, by or on behalf of any person, for injury to any person, including death, arising out of their use in the above named activity. 

Please be advised that the insurance provided is primary coverage of Purdue University Fort Wayne with respect to any insurance or self-insurance programs maintained by the University, and no insurance held or owned by the University shall be called upon to contribute to a loss. 

Insurance provided by (RENTER) must cover all operations of the special event including but not limited to; participants, subcontractors, vendors, exhibitors, volunteers, guests, etc. If (RENTER) policy excludes any activity or group involved in the special event, (RENTER) must provide proof of insurance as required by this agreement and must furnish separate certificates for each group or activity not included or covered by (RENTERS) insurance. 

Certificates should be submitted to your Event Coordinator upon request. 

You can find more information about the Insurance Requirement on the Use Policy (http://www.pfw.edu/offices/special-events/policies/use.html) page and in your event contract from your event coordinator. 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

Do you have Wi-FI?

The Purdue Fort Wayne Information Technology Department provides secure wireless connections for the campus.  But a guest wireless accounts is required to use the network.  If you think you might need a guest wireless account for your event please ask your event coordinator about this in advance.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Do you offer any discounts?

Purdue Fort Wayne does offer discounts and can be site specific. Please contact your assigned Event Coordinator to inquire about venue discounts.  Discounts do not apply to equipment rentals or  labor charges.

  • 10% - Returning Client Discount- Applied to indoor rentals and cannot be combined with any other discounts
  • 20% - Not For Profit discount- Client will need to provide appropriate tax ID information for the organization renting venue.
  • 30% - IU, Purdue, and IPFW Alumni who rent the Alumni Center.  
  • 50% - Mastodon Alumni Association who rent the Alumni Center. 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Does Purdue Fort Wayne have Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs)?

Yes, Purdue Fort Wayne has two ATM machines located in the Walb Student Union on the main floor near the southeast entrance to the building located next to the YoYo’s Yogurt shop. 

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Do you have a list of nearby hotels? 

The Holiday Inn located adjacent to Purdue Fort Wayne and the Coliseum is a great option.  More information can be found online at http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/fort-wayne/fwayn/hoteldetail or by calling at 260-240-8096.  

Find more information about area hotels online at http://www.visitfortwayne.com/

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

Do you have a list of nearby restaurants?

Fort Wayne has many fantastic restaurants ranging from fine dining experiences to fast casual.  Speak to any of our Special Events staff about your needs and they will be happy to help.  

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

What security is required at my event? 

The Purdue Fort Wayne Campus is a safe and secure environment for you and your guests. Purdue Fort Wayne retains the right to require Purdue Fort Wayne Police Officers at any event as determined necessary by the Purdue Fort Wayne Chief of Police.  Event presenter is responsible for labor charges.  All events involving alcohol will require an Purdue Fort Wayne Police Officer during the service of Alcohol.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^ 

May I hire police officers for security during my event?

In special circumstances for certain events, non-Purdue Fort Wayne police officers can be used for your event with advance approval from the Purdue Fort Wayne Chief of Police. Contact your event coordinator for further information.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^

What is Purdue Fort Wayne Smoking Policy? 

Effective April 1, 2014 - Purdue Fort Wayne is a 100% smoke free campus. All forms of tobacco use, including cigarettes, cigars, bidis, smokeless/spit tobacco, hookahs, blunts, pipes, e-cigarettes and snuff are prohibited. This applies to all campus grounds including parking lots, athletics facilities, event venues, classrooms and common areas.

^^^  Back to the top  ^^^