Specific Travel Guidance for Purdue Fort Wayne Faculty
Throughout academic year, 2021–22 travel by faculty and staff within the division of Academic Affairs will be significantly restricted. These restrictions in travel supplement Purdue University System policies regarding travel during the pandemic. The travel restrictions described below are the result of cost cutting efforts necessitated by reduced tuition revenue.
- All proposed travel, irrespective of purpose and funding source, must be approved in advance by the chair, dean or director, and vice chancellor.
- Requests for approval for travel must be submitted for review no later than one month before the proposed travel irrespective of funding source.
- Travel funded entirely by external grants and contracts, gifts, or other non-general fund sources is permissible. All other approved travel will be funded centrally by the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Travel by probationary faculty for the purposes of conducting research or presenting results at professional conferences is permissible.
- Travel by tenured faculty for the purpose of conducting research or presenting results will only be permissible for extraordinary opportunities.
- Travel by instructors, lecturers, and staff will only be considered under extraordinary circumstances.
- Because these restrictions are driven by budgetary concerns, they apply both to physical travel as well as participation in online and virtual conferences.
When considering professional travel, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to discuss the opportunity with their department chair as early as possible in order to secure the approvals necessary for funding.