Improve Your Writing & Public Speaking
You’ll find a variety of assistance through the Writing Center. We have consultants available to help you with your writing assignments, and with public speaking for academic-related events! Our experts can help you develop and support your thesis, understand the rhetorical situation, organize ideas, cite sources, improve clarity, revise, and incorporate peer and instructor comments. Think of us like a coach, working with you and offering you the tools to succeed!
When you consult with the Writing Center, bring any information you have about your assignment: the assignment sheet, due dates, the course syllabus, your textbook, notes, research, and/or any drafts or outlines. A rough agenda of items to cover during your appointment and any questions you have can also help you get the most out of your writing consultation.
How to get help
We offer both in-person and online options! Virtual and in-person appointments are 45 minutes long and scheduled through TutorTrac. If you need help scheduling or want to see if there are same-day appointments available, call or stop in to ask the first-floor library service desk. If you need to cancel an appointment, you may do so on TutorTrac up to 12 hours before the appointment. If it’s less than 12 hours until your appointment, please call us to cancel.
If you have a busy schedule and can't find an appointment time that works for you, we have an email consultation service. Submit your request through our online form and in two or three business days we'll send it back to your PFW email address with our comments and suggestions.
No matter which kind of consultation you use, we’ll email a summary at the end of your appointment that you can give to your instructor if this is a required visit, or you can use to continue revisions after your appointment has ended. If you lose the email or accidentally delete it, you can also check your visit history on TutorTrac.
You can also use our instant message system. At the bottom of each page on our website is a chat box that you can use to ask quick questions. When a consultant isn't on duty, your question is sent to us as an email so we can respond when we're open.
The Writing Center will be open for the summer 2021 semester May 17 - August 6.
Our hours will be (both in-person and virtual):
Monday & Tuesday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Wednesday & Thursday: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Closed Friday - Sunday
Because we have a limited number of staff but serve all courses on the Purdue Fort Wayne campus, we must enforce several policies:
- You may schedule one appointment per day, per class. (If you schedule more than one appointment per day for the same class, the first appointment of the day will be kept and the following appointments will be canceled.)
- You may schedule up to three appointments per six-day period, per class.
- Please do not overlap submissions to the online consultation service and face-to-face appointments for the same assignment.
- Please plan to have no more than 10 pages of text consulted on in a single appointment. (If the assignment is more than 10 pages long, please provide a 10-page range of text to focus on during the appointment.)
- We do not provide transcription or dictation services.
- We are not a proofreading or editing service.
Helmke Library First Floor
Director, Writing Center and Library Service Desk
Helmke Library 106
The Draft (Our Blog)
Plan, curate, and write using our tips and tricks in our blog, The Draft.