Office of International Education

Maintain Legal Status

How to remain in F-1 status

Generally, students are admitted to the United States in F-1 status for a period known as “duration of status” (D/S).

  • Working with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), United States Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS) can be very complicated and time-consuming. 
  • When processing your request, please make sure you allow plenty of time for your request to be processed and plan ahead. 
  • Have your documents, such as your passport, I-94 card, I-20 with you when you come to the Office of International Education office for immigration assistance.
  • Never rely on information that you pick up from friends and other students because circumstances may vary from one student to another and the regulations are modified from time to time. 

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

  • Effective immediately, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has automated Form I-94 at air and sea ports of entry. The paper form I-94 (record of admission) will no longer be provided to a traveler upon arrival at the port of entry, except in limited circumstances. 

Please review the information contained in the links below for additional information:

  1. Maintaining Your Status - Dept. of Homeland Security
  2. Fact Sheet - Maintaining Your Status 
  3. Or go to

When you enter the United States your record of admission will be recorded electronically. After entering the US, you can go to to produce a printed version of your electronic I-94 admission. You will still need the printed version when dealing with other agencies in the United States, such as the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, the Social Security Administration, and when completing employment documents such as E-Verify, and the I-9 system.

If you have any questions, please review the CBP website at If you cannot find the answer to your questions on this government website, please email our office at