Office of International Education



Tax workshop dates will be released in February of every year by the Office of International Education. Please check your email and sign up for a tax workshop in advance.  

Visit your myIPFW account to find the Sprintax link or follow this link.

*For links to forms listed on this page. Visit the "Tax Resources and Forms" Tab and scroll to the bottom.

Please bring the following documents with you to the tax workshop:

  1. Passport, visa, and I -94
  2. I -2017. W-2 (you will only have this if you worked)
  3. 1099 -INT (you will only have this if you earned interest in 2017). Your bank would have already sent this to you.)
  4. 1098-T or 1042-T forms if applicable. Check your myIPFW for more information. 
  5. Bank information (account number and routing number), as well as dates of entry and exit of the U.S.
  6. Any additional tax information you may have received. 

Important things to know:

  • Taxes DUE: ALL STUDENTS must file taxes if they were in the U.S. in the year prior to the current year when tax filing is due, whether or not they worked
  • Taxes must be postmarked by April 15th EVERY YEAR, unless it is shifted by the Internal Revenue Service. If you bring your completed tax forms to WU 145 before the filling deadline, we will mail them for you. Please note, the tax deadline for 2017 is Tuesday, April 17, 2018.
  • If you have worked in the previous year and your income was greater than $1000, you need to file the Indiana State Tax Return, as well.
  • Example: If you were in the United States in 2017, you must file a federal tax return for the year 2017 by April 17th, 2018. If you worked and received more than $1000 income, you must also file an Indiana State tax return. 
  • International students are required by law to file taxes. Non-resident students who are temporarily present in the US under an F-1 or J-1 visa, must file a return if they have income that is subject to withholding, even if no tax is withheld.  However, a form 8843 must be filed regardless if income was earned or not.
  • In some cases an individual will receive a refund and in some cases an individual will have to pay more taxes to the U.S. government.
  • Be sure to review the Frequently Asked Questions page before filing your tax forms.
  • For Indiana state tax, Nonresident students and dependents present in the United States on an F, J, Q, or M visa must file Form IT-40 PNR if they had any type of Indiana source income in 2015. 
  • You need to finish your Federal Tax Returns before starting to file State Tax Returns.
  • If you have no Indiana source income over the past year or you only had interest from a US bank account, a US savings and loan account or a US credit union account in the past year, you will not need to file any Indiana state tax forms.
  • To file a paper form, go to
  • Instructions and required forms can be found in the second table.