Office of International Education

Health Insurance

2018-2019 Insurance Brochure & Benefits
2018-2019 Insurance Claim Form

Why Do You Need Health Insurance?

Health care in the United States is very expensive. A simple visit to a doctor can cost hundreds of dollars and staying in the hospital for a couple of days may cost a fortune. Therefore, health insurance is required at IPFW for ALL international students. A health insurance plan offered by IPFW is available to ALL international students, therefore, a foreign health fee will be added to your bill each semester. Your insurance card will be available for you to pick up from the International Student Services Department two weeks after it has been ordered.

Health Insurance Rates

IPFW offers Rust & Associates health insurance to ALL international students. The 2018-2019 insurance rate is $147 per month. You will be billed for the health insurance per semester at the following rates:

Fall semester (coverage from August 1 to December 31): $735

Spring semester (coverage from January 1 to July 31): $1,029

If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you on F-2 visas, you can cover them under a separate policy international insurance policy. The extra cost for spouse coverage is $368 per month. The extra cost for each child is $184 per month. The extra cost for 3 or more children will be $552.

Please visit this site for detailed coverage information. 

Visits Outside the U.S.:

If you plan a trip to any point outside the U.S. and plan to return, you must make sure that all of the necessary documents are in order. You will need: 

  • (a) A passport valid to cover the planned return date
  • (b) A visa, also valid, to cover the planned return (in some cases, a visa is issued for two,  three, five, or multiple entries. In such cases, the visit and return must be within the stated number of entries)
  • (c) You must have an endorsement by OIE staff on your I-20 or DS-2019 form 


  • It is a good idea to take a copy of your IPFW transcripts (student copy is OK) to verify your enrollment.
  • You may request that the Office of International Education prepare a certification letter of your enrollment and visa status.
  • If you will be applying for a new visa you should have the Office of International Education prepare a certification letter for you. 
  • You should also be prepared to provide financial documents verifying your means of support if you are applying for a new visa.
  • · Travel Endorsements are generally good only if issued during the same term of enrollment at IPFW.


  • If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, the travel endorsement on your I-20/DS-2019 should not be dated more than 90 prior to your planned re-entry into the U.S.
  • In many cases, you will need to obtain a visa to enter countries other than the U.S. You should contact the Embassy of the country you plan to visit as far in advance as possible. Please feel free to contact the OIE for more information.