Students Working Remotely FAQ
Web Conferencing Tools and Secure Meetings
Due to the recent influx in web conferencing applications being used, in response to COVID-19, it is important to remember to create your meeting in a way that others are not able to access or attend your virtual meeting without permissions or an invitation. Information Technology Services supports WebEx and Skype for Business as our primary web conferencing tools. Both solutions provides a secure method for hosting virtual meetings. Skype for Business has a direct integration with your Purdue Fort Wayne address book, allowing you to invite campus members directly. Skype for Business also requires the host to create the meeting through using Purdue Fort Wayne account credentials. WebEx is hosted through Purdue West Lafayette, of which meetings can be created, by requiring a password to enter. Information Technology Services advises against the use of Zoom, currently, due to security concerns. You can learn more about both solutions by following the links below.
How can I access software I need from off campus?
If a course you are taking requires access to specialized software that is typically available on a campus lab machine, then please contact the helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 260-481-6030 to be given remote access to a campus lab. Once you have been given access you please follow instructions found at: Access Virtual Campus Lab Machine to gain access.
Skype for Business
Do you need to meet as a group or meet with an instructor in "real time" then try Skype for Business though Office 365.
How to Install Chemdraw
Information Technology Services has remote access available for labs but also have a refined process on how to download Chemdraw locally.
Which Browsers Does Blackboard Support
I keep receiving a “disabled/lockout error” when logging into my goPFW account
This happens due to incorrect password attempts and the system not recognizing your login information properly. This can be resolved within the 15 minute lockout period or by contacting the Helpdesk by email or phone to manually unlock this.
I want to change my password, but don’t have/don’t know my security question
- Go to: https://accounts.pfw.edu/ForgotPassword
- Follow the prompts to set up your security questions and change your password.
I am a new student and it says my account is either disabled or not found
- Go to: https://go.pfw.edu
- On the right–hand of the screen, click “First-Time Users”.
- Follow the directions and prompts to finish setting up your account.
How do I set up Boilerkey/new phone?
- Have you setup a Purdue Career Account password in the past? If not, then we can send this information by email and include directions for further account setup.
- If you have, then this can be completed by following the link below:
Microsoft Office is asking me to sign-in?
- Make sure you have the most up-to-date version of Microsoft Office by going to https://office.com
- When prompted to sign-in after verifying you have the most up-to-date version, sign-in using your Purdue Fort Wayne username and password. This will prompt the Purdue CAS login to appear. Sign-in once again using your Purdue Fort Wayne username and password, and the pop-up window will close, and you will now be signed into Microsoft Office.
I can’t edit .pdf’s and open Adobe Programs
Faculty/Staff members that are actively receiving benefits from Purdue main campus will be eligible to be enrolled in the Adobe licensing program. Adobe has made their applications more easily available due to the increase in online learning due to COVID-19. More information can be found at: Student At-Home Use of Adobe Creative Cloud
My Outlook isn't updating anymore
If you have recently changed your password, you may have to select the “key” icon towards the bottom right of the application window to re-enter in your updated credentials. (Restarting the program should also prompt this change).
How can I access WebEx/join a meeting?
- WebEx requires for you to sign-in using your @purdue.edu credentials. Make sure you are using either Chrome or Firefox and select to “Run” the browser extension when prompted.
I’m having Blackboard issues relating to assignments/lectures/content
- Make sure you are using a supported browser (Chrome/Firefox) with the proper site exceptions added (link for KB)
- Testing in an alternative browser or trying an incognito window.
- Clear your browser’s cache if it works for you in an incognito window. (link for KB)
I am having trouble opening MyLabs on Blackboard
- Make sure you are using a supported browser (Chrome or Firefox)
- Follow the knowledge base for browser configuration settings: https://purduefw.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0012304
How do I access my network resources off Campus?
- Webmail can be accessed via the email icon in goPFW or by visiting office.com
- Drives (I,O,P,W) can be accessed via My Files by visiting https://myfiles.pfw.edu/
How to avoid Blackboard exam/assignments from timing out:
- Blackboard has a 3-hour timeout expiration period. To avoid being unable to complete Blackboard exams due to errors such as exams submitting prior to them completing, or the session "timing out," causing the exam to submit prior to completion suggestions are as follows:
- For Students:
- Do not have more than one browser window open. (Recommended browser, Chrome or Firefox)
- Take the exam from a Windows or Mac OS computer, not a cell-phone or tablet.
- Save after every question.
- If the timer resets, you have been logged out of Blackboard and nothing further will save unless you log back in.
- Do not copy/paste essay responses from Word or other programs. Type directly into the exam.
- For Students:
How to Register Game Consoles/Streaming Devices?
Follow the knowledge base article for details on setting up a console/streaming devices: https://purduefw.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0012090
I received a spam/phishing email or email from unknown sender.
- Report the spam email by forwarding it to email@example.com
- Please do not send any of your information to the sender, the Helpdesk will NOT require you to update/verify/storage increases for mailboxes or ask you for personal information over e-mail.
Blackboard Resources for Students Working Remotely:
Software Downloads for Personal Devices:
In light of the increased demand for remote learning due to COVID-19, Adobe has made temporary at-home access to Creative Cloud available to Purdue Fort Wayne students. Active students at the University will be able to download and install the latest versions of Adobe’s Creative Cloud applications to their personally owned computers to use until May 31, 2020. After this date, the temporary at-home license for Creative Cloud expires, and students will no longer be able to use the applications they have installed. As the situation evolves, however, Adobe may update the expiration date so that Purdue students can continue their learning remotely. Because Creative Cloud application use is temporary, students should save document files to their own storage locations to ensure access after expiration.
University laptop taken home:
Just a reminder to anyone who has taken a university-owned laptop to work at home during this time: Please do not update the BIOS of these laptops while they are off-campus. Updating the BIOS will trigger the Bitlocker encryption, which will require the laptop to be brought back to campus to be re-enabled, or possibly even re-imaged.