Welcome to the Team
We're glad to have you at Purdue Fort Wayne. Your first steps with us will include onboarding and orientation.
Onboarding is comprehensive and begins the moment you accept your employment offer, and may extend beyond your first month. It focuses on many things:
- Affirming the employee’s right choice in their job
- Integrating and adapting to the university culture
- Relationship building
- Identifying training needs and performance goals
- Establishing pattern for ongoing feedback
- Ensuring that the employee is engaged sooner and is a positive contributor
Why Is Onboarding Important?
Effective employee onboarding serves three interrelated purposes:
- Ensure that the new employee feels welcome, comfortable, prepared, and supported
- Impact employee job satisfaction and engagement
- Reduce costs, hastens time to productivity, and improves retention
Who Is Responsible for Onboarding?
Onboarding is successful when Human Resources, hiring supervisors, and departments are all actively involved:
- Human Resources plays a key role in the early recruitment and orientation phase, and in guiding the onboarding process.
- Hiring supervisors play a major role in facilitating the employee’s successful integration into the department and organization.
New Employee Orientation
Our New Employee Orientation (NEO) is actually an important component within the onboarding program. Here’s what you will accomplish through your NEO participation:
- Acquire an understanding of the university’s mission, vision, and values
- Obtain information regarding benefit programs in order to make informed decisions
- Understand the values that foster respect within the campus community
- Learn how to access mandatory training modules that inform employees about policies and procedures
- Appreciate how a diverse campus recognizes the inherent worth of all individuals
You should attend a two-and-a-half-hour NEO session with Human Resources in your first month with Purdue Fort Wayne. We’ll discuss policies and procedures, benefits offerings and functionality, training requirements, and key campus expectations. We might just have a little fun too!
New hires are strongly encouraged to attend. At hire, a session will be scheduled between your department and Human Resources, at which time someone from our department will contact you to confirm your attendance.
Please see the schedule below for upcoming orientation dates and times.
March 6 at 9 a.m.
March 20 at 1:30 p.m.
April 3 at 9 a.m.
April 17 at 1:30 p.m.
May 1 at 9 a.m.
May 15 at 1:30 p.m.
May 29 at 9 a.m.