COVID-19 Updates
Purdue Fort Wayne is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. For current information on the university’s updates and status, please visit our COVID-19 website. Keep Reading
Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching

Resources for Multimedia

How do I learn to produce multimedia? First, learn to use multimedia software at an Information Technology (IT) Services workshop. Then call the CELT Support Specialist at 481-6368 for assistance in planning and producing your multimedia project.

Back to top

Which multimedia software applications are available to faculty? Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Premiere, and other applications), Camtasia, AutoCAD, and 3DMax. These applications can be downloaded from the Start menu of a computer connected to the Purdue Fort Wayne network. See also iPad App resources on the Helmke Library Guide, "App-Ed."

Back to top

How do I find free and copyright-free multimedia to use in making multimedia content?

There are many sources of free media you and your students may use in developing content or for multimedia assignments.

The Images and Artwork: Finding and Using Helmke Library guide lists many sources such as the database Artstor, Creative Commons and other libraries’ lists and guides to resources.

Purdue Fort Wayne faculty and students may also access thousands of digital videos from the databases licensed through the Helmke Library or borrow items from other libraries.

For assistance or questions, contact your liaison librarian.

Back to top

How do I record my lectures for students to view online? 

If you want to make a recording of your lecture session as you taught it in your classroom you should inquire about installing Tegrity in the workstation in your classroom. Tegrity records class time and course content for students to watch live, or review on-demand. Contact the ITS Tegrity Administrator, Michael Philips, at 481-0209. To make your video available for streaming, use the Purdue Fort Wayne Media Vault.

·       Purdue Fort Wayne Tegrity Login

·       Purdue Fort Wayne Media Vault Video Tutorials

If you want to create a narrated presentation using PowerPoint slides, movie clips, screen capture recordings, and other graphics, consider using Camtasia. To learn more about Camtasia, call CELT at 481-6368 or request a Technology Consultation using the online Request for Services form.

Back to top

How do I edit videos?

There are a number of video editing software applications available to faculty: Windows Moviemaker (part of the Windows OS); Adobe Premiere (part of Adobe Production Suite); iMovie (purchase for a modest fee); Final Cut Pro (Mac). Call CELT at 481-6368 or request a Technology Consultation using the online Request for Services form.

Back to top

Where can students get a video camera?

Students may borrow video equipment to use in curriculum-related projects from Studio M in Walb 220 by completing an online loan request form, or by calling 481-0114.

Back to top

Where can faculty get a camera for classroom recording?

At this time there are no video cameras specified for loan to faculty. This need has been identified and will be addressed by CELT and ACITAS.

Back to top

Where can students complete course-related multimedia projects? Studio M, in Walb 220, provides state of the art multimedia resources, training and customized assistance for students to develop projects and presentations in connection with their course work. Cameras are available for loan. Both Mac and Windows programs are supported. Instructors should contact the Coordinator at 481-0114 in advance of their need in order to schedule a consultation and plan student orientations to the lab.

Back to top

What is the Media Vault (Purdue Fort Wayne’s name for Kaltura)?

The Purdue Fort Wayne Media Vault is a place for faculty, staff, and students to store and stream university-related media for instruction, branding, image, and athletics. Instructions for uploading video to the Media Vault and making a link in your Blackboard course can be found on the IT Services Multimedia Training page. The Media Vault is located at For more information, contact the ITS Media Services Technologist, at 481-0209. 

Back to top

How do I find out which copyright laws apply to the multimedia materials that I use in my course? See this review of Purdue University Fort Wayne policies with regard to Fair Use and the TEACH Act. You may also contact the Purdue Fort Wayne Copyright Liaison, who can answer any questions you have. It is the responsibility of the individual faculty member to verify compliance with Fair Use or the TEACH Act. If you are digitizing your own media, CELT recommends that you print and keep a copy of the completed Fair Use Checklist (PDF) and/or Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization(TEACH) Act Checklist (PDF) as documentation for your transfer to digital media. A CELT consultant can help you complete these forms if you have any questions.

Back to top

Where may I find videos to use in my teaching?

To find a video title owned by the Purdue Fort Wayne Helmke Library, selected other regional campuses in the IU system, or IU Bloomington Wells Library or ALF (Auxiliary Library Facility):

  • Search IUCAT from the library homepage. Click on the Advanced Search link below the red Search button. Check the "All IUCAT" box to search ALL libraries (Fort Wayne is set as the default). Choose "DVD, Videodisc" or "Videocassette" from the Formats on the right side, and conduct your search.
  • Click on the title of a video, and if the item is held by Helmke Library, select regional campuses, or ALF, then click the "Request This" button and use your Purdue Fort Wayne login information to have the title delivered to your office directly.

 To find a video title not owned by the library:

 Browsing other sources:

Use the Alexander Street library databases to identify video:

  • In Helmke Express Searchtype in alexander street video to start your search. Then go to left navigation bar under Limit by Database and click the box for Alexander Street Press

Search other library databases:

  • At, use the word videoin the Search box. Try other individual searches also with related keywords such as multimedia, film, movie, image, photograph, visual. You will find topics from American history to art and architecture to Black studies, dance and opera

For assistance or questions, contact your liaison librarian.

Back to top

Can I have an entire film or video digitized and offered over the internet for my face-to-face course? In most cases, the answer is no. You should call CELT at 481-6368 to discuss your needs.

Back to top

How can I prepare video segments from a DVD to be viewed online? If you have a video or DVD that you would like to make available to your students via streaming, please call 481-6368 to schedule an appointment with a CELT consultant who can walk you through the process, or complete the online request form.

If you are digitizing your own media, CELT recommends that you print and keep a copy of the completed Fair Use Checklist (PDF) and/or Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act Checklist (PDF) as documentation for your transfer to digital media. A CELT consultant can help you complete these forms if you have any questions.

Back to top