Please keep in mind that this site is actively being revised and content may change.
Benefits of Synchronous Online Meetings
When learning online, students can feel isolated. You can use WebEx, the university-sponsored web-conferencing tool to do the following:
- Provide feedback to students' work
- Answer students' questions related to upcoming exams or projects
- Check students' understanding by using interactive features such as the whiteboard and the poll panel
- Connect to students on a personal level
Tips for Successful Online Meetings
- Have a clear goal for the meeting. Students will then know the purpose and how they can benefit from the meeting.
- Share the meeting agenda with students ahead of time. This way, they can be better prepared.
- Enable WebEx Audio for Meetings. This allows students access to meeting audio by using their phone.
- Provide a test session for students who might have technological difficulties.
- If you need to transition online during the middle of the semester, use the scheduled class time to hold online meetings.
- Record the meeting if appropriate. This way, students can review afterward.
- Provide a backup plan for students who can not participate. For example, you can offer to hold several meetings, and/or provide the recording of the meeting for students to view and respond.
Common Challenges for Online Meetings
Although synchronous online meetings are beneficial for online learning, there are some commonly reported challenges.
- It takes time to plan. Therefore, we recommend that you limit the meeting numbers. Please refer to the tips provided above regarding successful online meetings.
- Technology difficulty. It is not rare for one or more students to have low bandwidth problems or other technical difficulties. Test sessions can help alleviate this problem.
Technology for Online Meetings
WebEx is a web conferencing tool that may be used for instruction and collaboration at any time. It includes the ability to easily record sessions that can be distributed later.
WebEx requires you to sign-in using your @purdue.edu credentials. Make sure you are using either Chrome or Firefox and select to “Run” the browser extension when prompted.
Example message to post on Blackboard
Please download the example message [DOCX] to post to your Blackboard site for online meetings.
Find Your WebEx Meeting Recording
Your WebEx meeting recording will be stored on the Purdue West Lafayette portion of the common instance. Follow the instructions below to access your recording.
- Go to https://mediaspace.itap.purdue.edu/
- On the top right, click Login.
- Login with your Purdue Career Account. You should see your name on the top right after logging in.
- Click on your name, and choose My Media to view media under your Purdue Career account.
- Click on the title of a specific meeting to see the media details.
- Under the media player, choose the method by which you want to share your video.
- Link to Media Page: This allows the viewers with the link to see the recording on the media page.
- Embed: This will make the media public to the world, but allows you to embed the recording directly into your Blackboard site, and any webpage.