Get Ready for Your Adventure
To have a smooth trip and be ready for your Purdue Fort Wayne experience, take a look at the following information.
All new students are required to meet the immunization requirements by no later than the end of the first semester.
Make your traveling easy by reviewing the following tips:
- Please purchase your airline ticket and make your travel arrangement after your F-1 visa is secured.
- Please arrange your plane to arrive in Fort Wayne before 3 p.m. in order to be able to arrive at the International Education before the end of the business day (5 p.m.).
- Never leave your luggage unattended at the airport and do not allow strangers to carry your bags.
- Do not carry bags belonging to others.
- Always observe signs and regulations in public places.
- Always carry a valid credit card and cash in the amount of $100 in American currency in case of an emergency.
- Do not accept rides from strangers; take only official taxis from the airport to your final destination.
- Be careful who you give personal information to, for example, your name or address.
- Be aware of your surroundings; if you become lost, ask a police officer, security guard, airline personnel, or workers in the airport for assistance.
- In case of an emergency, call 911 from any telephone.
What You Need to Bring
We recommend you bring the following items for your room at Purdue Fort Wayne. If you cannot bring them, make sure to have extra money to purchase them in the United States.
Our categorization is general. There may be some items that you may see as more important than others, but we strongly suggest that you bring or purchase the items in the Must Bring category. The third category represents items that make life comfortable, but they are not necessities. During international-student orientation, there will be opportunities for you to go shopping for what you need in the second and third categories.
All the Must Bring items are very necessary for all new international students coming to Purdue Fort Wayne. Please make sure to include them in your bags. For more helpful information on your preparation before coming to the United States, please visit eduPASS.
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses (if needed)
- Medicine and prescriptions
- Towel, soap, and lotion
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Slippers or flip-flops
- US currency
- Hats and gloves
- Insulated and waterproof boots
(can purchase here)
- Alarm clock
- Study lamp
- Pillow and pillowcases
- Bedspread and sheets
- Clothes (jackets, dress shoes, formal attire)
- Hair dryer
- Music from your home country
- Mattress pad
- Items to decorate your room
- Personal computer
- Laundry bag or basket
- Throw rugs
- Athletic shoes
- Traditional dress or outfit
- Photos (family and friends)
- First-aid kit