College of Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science

      What are the admission requirements for the MSE program?

      To be considered for admission into the MSE program, applicants ideally should have graduated from an approved, accredited engineering program with a Bachelor of Science degree in their selected area of specialization. Graduates with Bachelor of Science degrees from approved programs in closely related areas will be considered for admission. Formal admission to the MSE program requires a Bachelor of Science degree and departmental approval, as well as:

      1. Completion of the engineering mathematics sequence which includes MATH 165 and 166 Integrated Calculus and Analytical Geometry I and II, MATH 261 Multivariate Calculus, MA 351 Linear Algebra, and MA 363 Differential Equations or an equivalent sequence of courses.
      2. Completion of at least two semesters of calculus-based physics.
      3. Completion of all undergraduate engineering courses that are the prerequisites to the graduate courses on the student’s plan of study.

      Students admitted to the program will be granted either unconditional admission or conditional admission. Unconditional admission is granted to a student whose undergraduate grade point average meets or exceeds 3.0 (B equivalent) on a 4.0 scale. An applicant with an undergraduate grade point average less than 3.0/4.0 may be granted conditional admission. The student is required to maintain a GPA of 3.0/4.0 or better for the first 12 credits of graduate work. In some cases, an applicant may be advised or required to complete additional courses to fill deficiencies in academic background.

      Admission for temporary (post-baccalaureate) studies can be granted to a qualified student who wants to take engineering courses for career development or to work toward a degree. However, such an admission does not in any way imply that later admission will be granted for regular status to work towards a degree, and all course prerequisites must be satisfied.

      Applicants for whom English is not the native language must present evidence of their proficiency in English by presenting a minimum TOEFL s core of 550 or equivalent.

      What are the areas of specialization?

      Currently the program has four areas of specialization:

      • civil engineering
      • computer engineering
      • electrical engineering
      • mechanical engineering
      • systems engineering

      What are the degree requirements?

      To earn the Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) degree, students must complete 30 credit hours. The courses in each area of specialization are divided into four categories:

      1. engineering required
      2. mathematics/statistics/computer science elective
      3. engineering elective
      4. general elective

      The required engineering courses (12 credit hours) provide students with a solid, yet broad foundation in the fundamentals of their selected area of specialization. These specific courses (see below) were selected to meet the needs of students and local industry, with the strengths and abilities of the Purdue Fort Wayne engineering faculty in mind. Each of the required engineering courses will be offered at the Fort Wayne campus at least once every two years. Students will also have the option to take some of these courses offered at the West Lafayette campus via video.

      Computer Engineering

      Choose 4 out of the following set of courses

      • ECE 538 Digital Signal Processing I
      • ECE 547 Intro. to Computer. Comm. Networks
      • ECE 567 FPGA Designs for Signal Processing Applications
      • ECE 600 Random Variables and Signals
      • ECE 608 Computational Models and Methods
      • ECE 661 Computer Vision

      Electrical Engineering

      Choose 4 out of the following set of courses

      • ECE 538 Digital Signal Processing I
      • ECE 549 Software Defined Radio
      • ECE 584 Linear Control Systems
      • ECE 581 Microwave Engineering
      • ECE 600 Random Variables and Signals
      • ECE 604 Electromagnetic Field Theory

      Mechanical Engineering

      There are two mechanical engineering tracks.


      • ME 505 Intermediate Heat Transfer
      • ME 509 Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
      • ME 545 Finite Element Analysis: Advanced Theory & Applications
      • ME 5xx Modeling and Simulation of Energy Systems
      • ENGR 580 Engineering Optimization


      • ME 545 Finite Element Analysis: Advanced Theory & Applications
      • ME 550 Advanced Strength of Materials/
        CE 570 Advanced Structural Mechanics
      • ME 5xz Advanced Vibrations Analysis
      • ME 5zz/CE 5zz Introduction to Fracture Mechanics
      • ENGR 580 Engineering Optimization

      System Engineering

      • SE 510 Systems Engineering
      • SE 520 Engineering Economics
      • SE 530 Engineering Management
      • SE 540 System Architecture

      The mathematics/statistics/computer science electives provide the students with the opportunity to sharpen their analytical skills and obtain useful tools to apply to future work within their selected area of specialization. Many of these graduate courses are already offered on the Purdue Fort Wayne campus, and students will also have the opportunity to take some of these courses via video.

      The engineering electives offer the student a chance to develop depth in his/her area of specialization and to explore new technologies of interest. Students will have the option of taking engineering elective courses on campus or via distance-learning.

      The last category of courses, the general electives, give the student flexibility to tailor the program to meet his or her specific needs. For example, a student wishing to eventually move into a management position might opt for courses in Business or Organizational Leadership, while another student might decide to perform research in areas such as robotics, controls, signal processing, tribology, or heat transfer and produce a thesis.

      Note also that students from one area of specialization might chose to take required courses from another area of specialization to satisfy the elective requirements, e.g. computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering students might take courses in Systems Engineering to satisfy their engineering elective and general elective requirements.

      For more information, see the MSE Program Guidelines.

      Do I have to write a thesis?

      Both thesis and non-thesis options are available.

      What types of financial support are available?

      Students in the program will be eligible for all forms of financial aid available to other Purdue Fort Wayne students. In addition, a number of graduate assistantships are available to full-time students. Funding for research assistantships come from grants. 

      What are the special features of this program?

      The curriculum in this program is extremely flexible. Students will be able to tailor the program to meet their needs by blending distance-learning courses offered by Purdue Fort Wayne and the Purdue Graduate School, as well as approved courses offered by the Departments of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science, and the division of Organizational Leadership (OL).

      The development of an engineering graduate program at Purdue Fort Wayne will benefit the long-term growth of the northeastern Indiana community by enhancing its attractiveness to additional high technology corporations that rely on knowledge and innovation.

      The availability of graduate courses in Systems Engineering is unique in Indiana. Students in all areas of specialization will have the opportunity to take courses in Systems Engineering. Engineers with this type of education are in high demand in northeastern Indiana and nationwide.

      Can I begin taking classes now?

      Prospective students will be allow to transfer a maximum of 12 credits of approved graduate coursework into the program. Any transfer coursework will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

      If I went to Purdue for my undergraduate degree, do I still need to request a official transcript from Purdue?

      Yes, you will need to request an official transcript from Purdue. They can be obtained free of charge from Purdue University Office of the Registrar

      How can I simplify the process of getting my Purdue transcripts transmitted to the Purdue Fort Wayne Graduate admissions office?

      Use Purdue University Office of the Registrar.

      Where should I mail my transcript and letters of reference?

      Have all this information sent to:

      Ms. Susan Humphrey
      Graduate Admissions Office
      Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne
      Kettler Hall 258
      2101 East Coliseum Boulevard
      Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1499