Important: New Academic Organizational Structure in Effect July 1
As of July 1, the College of Arts and Sciences has split into two new colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science. Learn more here.
College of Arts and Sciences

Academic Standing

Academic Standing

To maintain good academic standing, Purdue requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the graduate degree. IPFW requires that only grades C or above can fulfill requirements toward a graduate degree. The IPFW Department of Communication requires that students earn a grade B- or above to remain in good academic standing.

Probationary standing may result either from a course grade below a B, or when the cumulative GPA falls below 3.0. The following steps will take place when probationary status occurs:

  • After earning a grade below B- or when a cumulative GPA falls below 3.0, you will be notified that you need to put your advisory committee together if you have not already done so. A second grade below a B- puts you in jeopardy of being expelled from the program.
  • After earning a second grade below a B-, or as a result of additional coursework your cumulative GPA remains below 3.0 or falls below 3.0 a second time, your advisory committee will determine whether there are extenuating circumstances. The committee may allow you to continue in the program. If your advisory committee disallows continuation, you are expelled from the program.
  • If you receive a grade below a C-, you must sit out a regular semester, excluding summer. After sitting out a fall or spring semester, you can then reapply for the program.

According to the Graduate Bulletin, a cumulative GPA is computed using all credits for which you are assigned a GPA-related grade, with the exception of credits earned in those courses that have been repeated and are not repeatable for credit. Should you have any questions regarding your GPA, contact the Registrar.

Visa Requirements for International Students

International students are generally required to take (at least) 9 credit hours to fulfill their student visa requirements. If an international student has a teaching assistantship, that requirement is met with 6 credit hours.