College of Professional Studies

Student Teaching

If your education program leads to an Indiana teacher license, part of the requirement is that you will Student Teach your last semester. 

One year before you plan to student teach, stop by the SSC office (NF 243) or call our office secretary at 260-481-6449 to make your 1 hour appointment with Jim Beard.  You will then need to go to NF B71 computer lab to fill out and email your application to us (see instructions below) because that's what you will review with Jim Beard during your appointment with him.

  • For students who plan to student teach during a Fall Semester, appointments are available September through November.
  • For students who plan to student teach during a Spring Semester, appointments are available February through April.

read me sign Please read the instructions below before clicking on the   Important sign
                                                  Student Teaching Application link:


In order to successfully fill out your application then email it to us prior to the day of your appointment, you will need to go to the Neff Hall basement computer lab B71 to fill it out.   I.T. Services has loaded Adobe Acrobat DC on all the Windows computers (do not use a Mac computer) which is the program you need to complete your student teaching application successfully.   Be sure you use Internet Explorer, not Chrome or FireFox, as your web browser.

Please email your completed application to at the time you complete the application.  If there is a problem with it when we receive it, we will let you know so keep an eye on your student email.

Please feel free to contact IT Help Desk if you have problems or further questions about student's access labs.  The IT Help Desk is located in Kettler Hall, Room 206.     Phone #: 260-481-6030

REMEMBER:  You are using a public access computer so make sure your information is not saved on the computer when you are finished.  Otherwise the next person using the computer will be able to see all your information.  Save it to a flash drive or email it to yourself so you have a copy in case corrections need to be made.  You won't want to have to retype it - it's 7 pages long.

Student Teaching Application             NOTICE:  Before you begin please read the instructions listed above. 


Items to help you complete the Student Teaching Application Process

            a. School corporations

Instructions:  Click on the School corporations link above and open it.  Look through the list and select 4 different school corporations you are interested in for your student teaching or practicum placement.  You will enter your 4 choices on the Student Teaching Application.  NOTE:  If you choose Northwest Allen County Schools (NACS) or Southwest Allen County Schools (SACS) you must have an overall GPA of 3.0.  

            b.  You will need to obtain a free unofficial transcript  from the Registrar's  Office in KT #107.  Bring the transcript with you to your student teaching appointment.  (Please do not print and bring an OASIS or MYBLUEPRINT transcript - they will not be accepted).

            c. Safe Hiring Solutions criminal background report

Instructions:  Open the Safe Hiring Solutions link above and fill out your information to apply for a criminal background report.  You will need to have a current report in order to apply for a student teaching placement.  You must also have a current report before you begin your student teaching placement.

If you are an ECE major or dual major, you must follow two different procedures if you will be placed in both a Head Start placement and a public/private P-12 school districts placement.

                        (1)    For an early childhood setting experience, follow the National Criminal History Check instructions through MorphoTrust.

                        (2)   For a student teaching experience in a public/private P-12 school district, follow these instructions to obtain an expanded criminal history report through Safe Hiring Solutions.

You must have a current expanded criminal background report prior to the start of your student teaching or practicum experience; therefore, even if you already have an expanded criminal history report on file with us, you will have to obtain a new criminal history report if the current one becomes more than 1 year old prior to the start of your student teaching or practicum experience.  Some school districts may require a more recent report. 

NOTE: Many of you have contacts with several districts and often field placement teachers will express a desire to have you as their student teacher. The current application procedure requires that the request for a student teaching or practicum placement starts with Jim Beard. Please refrain from creating any arrangements with a school district or teacher for a student teaching or practicum placement.