Key Areas at Purdue Fort Wayne to Remain Open During Winter Break
Several student service areas will remain open during this timeframe, including Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Success and Transitions, and more. Read More
College of Professional Studies

Criminal History Background Report

Criminal History Reports (aka CHRs) must be obtained from Safe Hiring Solutions (aka SHS) unless you are an Early Childhood Education (ECE) major being placed in a Head Start setting (scroll down to read information about ECE majors and Dual majors near the bottom of this page).  

What to expect after you start your CHR application............

You will receive 2 sets of 2  separate emails.  One set of 2 emails (1 will be a link & user name and 1 will be a password) will be from  In the next few days you will receive another set of 2 emails (1 will be a link and 1 will be a password) will be from (this is the DCS portion of your application).  You MUST fill out both portions of your application in order for your CHR to process.  If you don't receive these emails, check your spam/junk file in case it went there instead of your inbox.  If you still don't have any emails from the addresses above, call SHS at 1-888-215-8296 and they can re-send you the emails you need.

Please understand that once your application is submitted to Safe Hiring Solutions the process begins instantly and there are no options for refunds.  Reports are valid for 1 year from the order date.

Please read these step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your Safe Hiring Solutions (SHS) Criminal History Report before you start a reportCriminal History Report instruction sheet .  The link to apply for your report is contained within this instruction sheet.

The email address in the Applicant Details must be your personal email address and not your student email address for the college/university.  If you do not have a personal email address, you can obtain a free g-mail address so this process can be completed.

NOTICE:  If you do not have a credit card and need to pay by check or other means, contact Safe Hiring Solutions at 1-888-215-8296 and they will assist you with alternate payment instructions.

SHS Disclaimer (9/22/15)
SHS has received a number of calls from applicants who cannot login, cannot e-sign, cannot view a report, or complete an order.  99% of this has been related to applicants using an outdated version of Internet Explorer (SHS uses Version 11).  SHS recommends using either Google Chrome or Firefox web browsers.  Both of these web browsers are compatible with our program plus they update automatically.

Every school or agency that the School of Education interacts with requires our students (you) to have a current background report on file at the university. A current background report is defined as "within one year from the requested/order date on the report", after which time you will need to obtain a new one.  There is a fee each time a background report is obtained.                                                                                                                                                                 
If the background report will become more than 1 year old before the end of your field experience, you must obtain a new background report prior to the beginning of your field experience.  If an infraction appears on the report, a faculty committee will review the report to determine if you are eligible to enter into field experiences or student teaching.  Purdue University Fort Wayne and each school or agency reserve the right to deny placements based on the report.  In addition, should an infraction occur during the timeframe of the field experience or student teaching, it is the student's responsibility to report this to their supervising instructor(s) and the Field Placement Coordinator (Neff Hall #270B). 


If you are an ECE major or dual major who is being placed in a Head Start setting, you must follow two different procedures because of having placements in both a Head Start setting and a public/private P-12 school district setting. 

  1. For an early childhood (Head Start) setting experience, please see these instructions on how to obtain the National       Criminal History Check through MorphoTrust.  These reports will go directly to the FSSA.  
  2. For a field experience or student teaching experience in a public/private P-12 school district, click on the Safe Hiring     Solutions link above.  This report includes a Federal District Courts search.

Don’t forget to obtain, fill out, sign, and submit a Criminal History Release Form too. This form can be obtained through the Field Placement Coordinator by contacting her at 260-481-4137 or stopping by her office located in Neff Hall, Room 270B.  If you have previously completed a release form, you don’t need to do another one.  Everyone is required to to have a release form on file per FERPA regulations. This form gives the Purdue University Fort Wayne and the College of Professional Studies permission to use, copy, and send your Criminal History Background report to the schools or agencies where you are being placed for a field experience, practicum, or student teaching.


A photo of an IPFW elementary student working with a  young student during her field placement.An  elementary education student working with a young student during her field placement.