Inclusive Hiring Training for Search Committees
October 21, 2021
As one of the DEI FORWARD First-Year Initiatives, Purdue Fort Wayne is committed to providing an inclusive hiring process that improves the experience for all. Leaders from Academic Affairs, Human Resources and Office of Institutional Equity, and the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion have established a well-thought-out inclusive hiring process for both faculty and staff. One of the important steps of this initiative is providing inclusive hiring training for search committees that focuses on implicit bias (unconscious bias) and the PFW inclusive hiring process. We would ask all faculty and staff to have completed the training prior to serving on a search committee.
The training consists of two parts:
Part 1 Pre-work—Harvard University Project Implicit Site
Prior to the in-person workshop, participants are asked to complete at least three or more implicit bias tests. There are a total of 14 short test, we ask that you complete three or more. Each short test takes approximately 5-10 minutes. Please anticipate a high level discussion around the Harvard University Project Implicit test during the in-person training.
Ready to test yourself?
- Visit the following link: harvard.edu/implicit
- Select the United States in the left-hand box and click the "Go" button.
- Read the disclaimer, then click "I wish to proceed."
- Each test takes 5 to 10 minutes. You do not need to do them all, but we recommend that you complete at least two tests (e.g., Race IAT, Arab-Muslim IAT, Skin-tone IAT, Sexuality IAT, Disability IAT, etc.)
- Please record your findings and thoughts after each test. [Note: The results of your tests are only available to you and will not be shared during the workshop unless you want to share them.]
Part 2 In-Person Training—More dates will be made available for future training
- Wednesday, October 27, 2:30–4:30 p.m., Helmke Library IDEA Space
- Monday, November 8, 9:30–11:30 a.m., Walb Union, Room G08
- Thursday, November 11, 2:30–4:30 p.m., Walb Union, Room G08
RSVP to one of the above training opportunities by emailing Jayla Heller at [email protected]. Space is limited.
We’re excited about the work that is being done as we take Thunderous Steps DEI FORWARD! We couldn’t have an inclusive campus without each of us doing their part—and we look forward to seeing you at these and other DEI workshops.
Ron Elsenbaumer, Chancellor
Carl Drummond, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
MarTeze Hammonds, Chief Diversity Officer
Cynthia Springer, Associate Vice Chancellor, HR-OIE