IPFW/Parkview Student Assistance Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have crisis counseling?

Yes. If you are in an urgent situation or feel you cannot wait until the first available appointment, we usually have counselors available during our office hours. This is on a first come, first served basis.

Where is the office?

Student Assistant Program (SAP) is located in Walb Student Union, Room 113, 2101 E. Coliseum Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1499.

How do I make an appointment?

You need call 260-266-8060 or 800-721-8809 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are also accepted prior to 4 p.m. in Walb Student Union, Room 113.

What kinds of counseling do you do?

We see students for a variety of problems including, but not limited to, depression, anxiety, identity issues, anger, stress, relationship problems, and substance abuse.

Am I eligible for your services?

All currently enrolled IPFW students are eligible for our service, including up to six full counseling sessions per year.

How many counseling sessions do I get?

IPFW students are eligible for six full counseling sessions per year. If long term therapy is indicated, we will discuss a referral with you. Group sessions are not included in this number, and are unlimited.

How much do services cost?

There is no charge for these services.

How long will the appointment take?

Counseling appointments take approximately 50–60 minutes. Allow time prior to your first appointment to complete intake forms.

How long will I have to wait for a first appointment?

SAP is committed to minimizing wait times as much as possible and tries to schedule appointments within a day or two.  Sometimes, even with the number of first appointments that are offered, the wait for a scheduled appointment can stretch longer than what we want depending on the number of students requesting services at any given time in the semester.

Do you do couple counseling?

Yes. At least one member of the couple must be a registered IPFW student. Family members and significant others are eligible, when seen with the student.

Can I make an appointment for my son/daughter, roommate, friend, romantic partner?

Because we are a confidential service, we can only allow students to make their own appointments.

Can I bring a friend or family member?  What if he or she is not a student?

Friends can come in and talk to a counselor together. If you are an enrolled student, and your friend or family member is not, you still meet with a counselor together.

Will my parents be notified?

If you are 18 years of age or older, your parents won’t be notified unless you sign a “Release of Information” form.

Will my sessions go on my official student record?

No, absolutely not.

Is this confidential?

When it comes to protecting your information, SAP follows all professional standards and state and federal laws. For more specific information, review our Confidentiality Policy.

Can faculty and staff go to SAP for personal counseling?

Faculty and Staff may not go to SAP for personal counseling. Purdue has an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to faculty and staff through William C. Weber & Associates, Inc. Further information is available on the IPFW Human Resources web page under benefits.

Can I request a certain counselor?

If you have a particular request, (e.g., for a specific counselor or for a specific clinical issue) when asked we do try to honor this request.  However, the wait time for the appointment may be longer in this case.

What if I feel that I am not a good match or I am not comfortable with my counselor?

If you don’t feel comfortable talking with that particular counselor and would like to schedule an appointment with a different counselor, let the receptionist know that you’d like to make a first appointment with a different counselor.

What can I expect when I meet with a counselor?

When you arrive you will be asked to fill out a few confidential forms that request personal information, demographic information, and what you feel your concerns are. You will also be given a “Consent for Counseling” form that you will be asked to read and sign.

The first appointment allows a student and a counselor to get to know one another and formulate a plan of action to help you be a successful student at IPFW.

Who are your counselors?  Are they students?

Our counselors are licensed professionals, with a minimum of 15 yrs experience.

Do you have a psychiatrist on your staff?

No, but we are affiliated with Parkview Behavioral Health. If you and your counselor determine that a consultation with a psychiatrist might be helpful, your counselor will help facilitate a referral.

Do you prescribe medication?

The counselors do not prescribe medications. We may help you facilitate a referral to see a Psychiatrist or a prescribing Health Care professional.

How do I get help for a learning disability and/or ADHD?

If you have been diagnosed with a learning disability and/or ADHD, you may register with Services for Students with Disabilities. For information on eligibility and services provided please contact them at 481-6657 or visit their office in Walb Student Union, room 113.

If you think you may have a learning disability or ADHD but have not been diagnosed, please call the Student Assistant Program Personal Counseling.

After Hours Assistance